A&H

Clatts and his advantages

TVRMike

Level 7 Referee
Anyone else think the commentators are unnecessarily slating him?

Sure, perhaps he should had let advantage play, but I think both are somewhat justifiable, and the commentators are only blowing up about the first one because the palace forward put it in the net.

So many respect bands and flags but I feel they're not respecting his decisions.

The Referee Store
First one was shocking.....needed to delay the whistle, but probably eager to make his presence felt, first caution etc etc.....just too quick with the whistle.

Second one is more debatable, but again if he took a second or two before blowing no one would be complaining.

Clatts has made 2 probably massive errors by blowing early. Just wait a second and see what happens. Too keen!! That said... Otherwise great game.

Bias note: I care nothing for either team.

@SM they are not massive, you sound like a pundit when you post that. I agree with @Padfoot, he wanted to make his presence felt. On the 2nd, there was space to run into and little else. He knows it though, if you watch Clatts he can't hide anything out on the field. He wears his heart on his sleeve and his body language screams he wished he had let play go on.

Apart from that, it's a classic final and the 3rd team are doing well. Would like Palace to win. They were the first team I saw Leeds play back in 1976. Their manager was Malcolm Allison and they came to Leeds as a 3rd Division team and beat us 1-0. I hated them at the time. Next time I saw them play us in the Cup was in 1997. I travelled to SE London, got into the ground, realised I didn't have my wallet, left the ground (having watched 10 seconds of football), phoned home from a callbox with my last 10p and was told the wallet wasn't there, went to the local police station, reported my lost cards as lost, drove home again. 11 hour round trip and 10 seconds of football. When I got home, the wallet was on the window sill. I bought my first mobile 3 days later.

Whoever wanted to know when you should enter the penalty area during open play have another look at the first-half.

Easy to see advantages after the fact, the second one would've barely been mentioned if he didn't make the mistake on the first one.

He made 2 major boo boos. "Makes his presence felt" means "makes 2 silly early calls without real reading of the game" to me.

Sounds like a commentator? Lol nope a fan of football witnessing poor judgement without bias (for once!)

To put that into context: one early call - we have all done it.

The second one; poor

I understand the first one
  • Foul seen
  • Attacking player goes to ground
  • Likelihood of advantage lower
  • Blows whistle
Simples

He just blew a little quick for the first one. Second one I didn't see
I had a text from a mate as follows. Made me angry and I've not replied

Well done Mark look at me Clattenberg, the star of the first half for being a complete ****..
And that's the best we've got apparently

Meh. He had a a good game overall. Just them 2 decisions which were correct in law, but quick and robbing the opponent of an attacking position.

In the balance of things, he should be happy enough though

It's easy for people to sit here saying he made massive errors. BUT in all fairness to Clatts, nothing in the LOTG requires a referee to play an advantage plus, he is the one with the pressures of refereeing the FA cup final with 90,000 fans in the stadium and being broadcast to millions whilst trying to concentrate.

I thought the first was perhaps a tad of nerves: unusual for him. He knew it instantly and we've all been there.

That said it was made to look worse by the fact the United players all stopped on blow of the whistle and both Palace players carried on.

As said before if the first hasn't happened the second isn't mentioned.

Disappointed in the end result. Hate United.

I thought the first was perhaps a tad of nerves: unusual for him. He knew it instantly and we've all been there.

That said it was made to look worse by the fact the United players all stopped on blow of the whistle and both Palace players carried on.

As said before if the first hasn't happened the second isn't mentioned.

Disappointed in the end result. Hate United.
Yep, the Palace players go on well after the whistle blows, don't think it's anything like that easy or obvious a chance as it seems. The Palace player was on his stomach on the floor when the whistle first went!

Easy to see advantages after the fact ...
This. As the saying goes, "Hindsight is always 20/20."

Also, it seemed to me that both the ones he was getting the most criticism for, were made to look like clearer advantages because (as RegalRef and GraemeS already mentioned) the Palace players kept on going after the Utd players had already stopped for the whistle.

I understand the first one
  • Foul seen
  • Attacking player goes to ground
  • Likelihood of advantage lower
  • Blows whistle
Simples

My thoughts exactly.

There was a replay shot from behind the goal, which shows both players on the floor, and then you see Clatts put the whistle to his mouth (and blows it, I assume).

With the players on the ground it is difficult to think an advantage might accrue. As has already been said, we have all been there.

I thought the first was a bit rapid but as both players hit the deck and a caution was coming fair enough.

For the second it was going to be another caution, now, do you want a situation where a defender who is going to be cautioned gets another chance for a caution?

The new law where you give an IDFK when a player due to be cautioned gets involved in play seems like it will be very hard to manage, do you tell the player he's getting carded? How does he/she know not to join in? It's going to get messy.

Back