A&H

Clean boots anyone ?

James goodgame

Played Saturday and Sunday football for years and never really bothered how clean my boots were , I’ve been refereeing for six weeks and I’ve become obsessed by it !! . What’s that all about ! Anyone else got boot ocd?

The Referee Store
Played Saturday and Sunday football for years and never really bothered how clean my boots were , I’ve been refereeing for six weeks and I’ve become obsessed by it !! . What’s that all about ! Anyone else got boot ocd?
First job on returning home from a game; clean boots. Some use a bootbuddy, but i use the old fashioned cloth and garden tap method.
Which aspects of refereeing have got you hooked?

I think its just something I never thought I would do ! given out plenty of stick over the years , and when stopped playing , I just wanted to stay involved ! Even being on the other end of the abuse hasn't put me off ! although its a fine line when you start giving it back !

I clean them.

We were told to when we passed the exams and went to the society meetings. The county ref's officer made a point of saying you should clean and polish/wax your boots.

It also got brought up in observations, if you turned up with muddy boots they were not best pleased. I have seen some referees on the promotion ladder who only clean them for the observers though... But it's not my place to say anything.

I clean them.

We were told to when we passed the exams and went to the society meetings. The county ref's officer made a point of saying you should clean and polish/wax your boots.

It also got brought up in observations, if you turned up with muddy boots they were not best pleased. I have seen some referees on the promotion ladder who only clean them for the observers though... But it's not my place to say anything.
At end of the day, you are being paid to referee the teams, having a clean and presentable attire helps to generate an aura of professionalism rather than someone who doesn't give a ****.

As you go up the ladder, you also need to arrive in shirt and tie for games and being well presented is required there as well.

I did a game on the line in my local supply league, the other AR pulled a pair of filthy boots out of a carrier bag and the referee told him in no uncertain terms that they needed to be cleaned prior to him going out of the changing rooms.

Back