A&H

Concentration

Paul_S

Level 4 Referee
Any tips/tricks on staying focused in games? I had a incident in a game last week that is still on my mind now. Blue player running towards clarets goal in a promising situation (about half-way into the half), claret player pulls him down = denying promising attack = easy yellow card. Problem is that I gave the foul, it would have been his second yellow, I was being assessed, and I didn't give the yellow card.

I'm convinced it's a problem of concentration - it's a yellow card that I'd give 10 times a season and have no problem sending people off so it's definitely not a question of "bottling it". Playing it back, it seems to be that I didn't quite see properly it in real-time, because I wasn't expecting the player to do something so stupid (he'd been booked only about 5 minutes before), so then I couldn't quite believe that it had happened. By the time I gave myself chance to think about it, it seems I'd deceived myself into thinking it was more of a tangle than a deliberate grab, and that the blue player was further away from goal than he actually was.

The Referee Store
You are a couple levels above me so far be it for me to tell you how to operate. I feel like concentration /focus is or isn't and I just need to make sure my head is turned on. I am haunted (like you are above) by the mistakes I have made in the seconds I have switched off in the past.

I can just say that I run a play by play commentary in my head like Martin Tyler. What's happening, who's having a good game, who is struggling, who has committed a lot of fouls, who is crap at tackling etc etc...I "explain" everything I'm seeing to myself. If my thoughts go too quiet for too long it reminds me I'm not concentrating enough.

I suppose it's a YHTBT.

Doesnt sound like concentration issue. You saw the foul and indeed awarded it so you were obviously concentrating on the game.

Dont beat yourself up about it we all make mistakes. You need to think about your thought making process and put a plan in place of how to avoid it again in future.

Was it that you lost the player? Doesnt seem like it as you know it should have been a second caution.

Did you allow another player to distract you?

Sounds like a very odd scenario that a player booked just 5 mins prior commits a stonewall caution and the opposition havent reminded you, rightly or wrongly.

Something must have happened between the foul being awarded and restart of play?

If indeed you arrive at concentration as the cause the best help you can give is to be physically and mentally ready for the game. Good fitness. Good sleep. Well hydrated. This will prevent fatigue later in the game which we know can impact our cognitive ability.
Rest days are also important. Working out 7 days a week will cause you to burnout so even sleeping well, hydrating and eating well wont help you as you've exceeded your bodys recovery thresholds.

Thanks both. I'm not arrogant enough to think I couldn't learn something from lower level referees - I like the commentary idea

Didn't lose him, wasn't mistaken identity (he had quite an impressive beard!), and the opposition were definitely reminding me about his previous YC.

The reason I say concentration is because I seemed to lose the context and position of the attack - it was not identifying the promising attack part of the foul that did for me.

Similar to point above I was wondering if it was fatigue related. Do you have energy drink before/half time?

I had one the night before last. Boring game which was dragging. Not a bad first half but the second half, I kept losing concentration.

First incident was striker in opponents penalty area, I saw defender get the ball so I look away and begin to jog away as I'm anticipating a clearance... but instead it ricocheted. I heard it, turned around straight away and as I did, I saw the attackers arm moving from the raised to the stowed position, there were screams of handball... I award it. Didn't see it, I put two and two together. I spoke to the payer after the game, old teammate of mine and I asked him to be honest... he said he didn't handle it.

Then, same sort of situation, I expect a defender to pump it up field so I look away... ball goes out for a throw so I award it in the attacking teams direction... players react in a manner I didn't expect. An attacker had got in front on the defender as I turned my head and it ricochet off him. I didn't see it so simply ask "did that come off you, player"? Luckily he was hones and said yes.

Although they were two harmless mistakes, the problem was my trailing eye. It was definitely due to a lack of concentration. The visiting side were 5-0 up, I was chasing clearance after clearance and found myself bored by the time I started making the mistakes. Thankfully it's a rare occurrence.

Similar to point above I was wondering if it was fatigue related. Do you have energy drink before/half time?

Could be. It wasn't physical fatigue (it was only around 60 minutes) but I'd got back from USA the day before so perhaps just a mental lapse...

Am always talking to myself. In general. But, even more so during a game. Am saying, "if he fouls him now red". "Too close to him for handball " " 9s offside" everything.
It can be a lonley place on a football park with only your whistle to keep you company so its easy to turn off. Both teams could be getting on your back and all you can think of is seeing out the last ten mins and driving home.
I find talking to self helps.
Again though, what works for one might not work for all

Reactions: DB
As AR I talk to myself. I use it to keep concentration during lulls or when there are complex potential offsides (goal hanging!)

With the whistle I talk out loud to the players instead as much as I can without getting annoying or distracting (I hope). It helps me.
But I have struggled with staying focused on the offender at the time of a foul. This is because I have too much focus on the decision, my own form, exact spot and overall control - but I know I should be focusing on the offender first so I can sanction as necessary. It's something I have to improve on.

Thanks both. I'm not arrogant enough to think I couldn't learn something from lower level referees - I like the commentary idea

Didn't lose him, wasn't mistaken identity (he had quite an impressive beard!), and the opposition were definitely reminding me about his previous YC.

The reason I say concentration is because I seemed to lose the context and position of the attack - it was not identifying the promising attack part of the foul that did for me.
Blow the whistle (you got the decision right), note the player (like that you identified the facial hair), note the position (and reflect), then take a breath while the ball is retrieved before calling the player over. By staying in the process of foul, player ID, positional sense, restart position, player interaction, you have 5 mental notes to tick off. In between the 1st and the 4th you will have realised what sort of interaction number 5 is going to be.

Also reflect on the use of BUPA as it's a relatively new term at your level and sometimes, it isn't always as much of a PA as you might think. You have to consider what was the player's next move? A Hollywood pass? A cross into a crowded penalty area? A shot on goal? If it's simply being able to run another 5 yards into the opponent's half, is it that much of a PA? You might have been able to sell it to the Observer that you didn't think it was a PA and that a stern talking to was al that was required? Depends on the nature of the foul... you mentioned pulled him down... that in itself could be obvious holding for which there is also scope for a caution.

As for the opposition reminding you of the previous caution, I'd have given them a wry smile and sent them away.

Blow the whistle (you got the decision right), note the player (like that you identified the facial hair), note the position (and reflect), then take a breath while the ball is retrieved before calling the player over. By staying in the process of foul, player ID, positional sense, restart position, player interaction, you have 5 mental notes to tick off. In between the 1st and the 4th you will have realised what sort of interaction number 5 is going to be.

Also reflect on the use of BUPA as it's a relatively new term at your level and sometimes, it isn't always as much of a PA as you might think. You have to consider what was the player's next move? A Hollywood pass? A cross into a crowded penalty area? A shot on goal? If it's simply being able to run another 5 yards into the opponent's half, is it that much of a PA? You might have been able to sell it to the Observer that you didn't think it was a PA and that a stern talking to was al that was required? Depends on the nature of the foul... you mentioned pulled him down... that in itself could be obvious holding for which there is also scope for a caution.

As for the opposition reminding you of the previous caution, I'd have given them a wry smile and sent them away.

Yeah, thank you. When you put it in those terms it's steps 3 and 4 that went wrong.

Definitely no argument with the observer's interpretation of things. I did explain whatever thought-process I went through, but that was more about demonstrating that I had one rather than pure panic!

And yes, the opposition players got sent on their way One thing that I was actually pleased with is that my match control didn't go south and the rest of the assessment (except AoL) was good. Onwards...

"Foul, player ID, positional sense, restart position, player interaction" - this really stuck with me the last few days.

I talked about this at half time with my assistants today. Quite straightforward game. Blues 0-1 down, last 5 mins, blue scores ballooning goal with the chest - or is it - appeals for HB - I couldn't see - I look to the far assistant and he flags for it. Took him a little while. I blow. Clearly tell the players no goal, DFK. And then... of course, in the excitement, I've lost the player as I process it is a mandatory yellow. My mind is telling me the number and it echoes in my head for the next 10 mins until we finish the match... but I felt like I would have been guessing... so - rock and hard place - I didn't want to risk YC for the wrong player.

Well done on your honesty.

Like some others above, I also run a bit of a commentary at times (which is inspired a bit by the mics at National League, also). Generally, I am saying to myself "Yellow" or "Red" when there is a clear run at goal and I sense danger coming (I.e. keeper rushing out, or lone defender preparing to make a final challenge). I've already got it in my head what the card will be based on how play is at that moment in time, and it also means I'm focused on WHO the player is.

Well done on your honesty.

Like some others above, I also run a bit of a commentary at times (which is inspired a bit by the mics at National League, also). Generally, I am saying to myself "Yellow" or "Red" when there is a clear run at goal and I sense danger coming (I.e. keeper rushing out, or lone defender preparing to make a final challenge). I've already got it in my head what the card will be based on how play is at that moment in time, and it also means I'm focused on WHO the player is.
Sorry to go a little off topic, may I ask what level you ref at as a level 3 please?

Sorry to go a little off topic, may I ask what level you ref at as a level 3 please?

That's refereeing on the contributory leagues (e.g. Isthmian Premier / Div 1 North and South), and assistant on the National League. Level 3s will start by assisting on the National League North and South but can be promoted upwards from there (I'm now on the National League 'proper' as it were).

That's refereeing on the contributory leagues (e.g. Isthmian Premier / Div 1 North and South), and assistant on the National League. Level 3s will start by assisting on the National League North and South but can be promoted upwards from there (I'm now on the National League 'proper' as it were).
Do you not have to decide if you want to be an AR or a referee around about that level then?

You do. After 3 seasons you _can_ choose. After 4 you _must_ choose. Also, if you get promoted to either 2B as a referee or Football League as an Assistant, that's your choice made for you!

So if you get level 3, and then get successive promotions on the line (i.e. going into your 3rd year as a Level 3 and Football League line) - you cannot do both for that third season?

So if you get level 3, and then get successive promotions on the line (i.e. going into your 3rd year as a Level 3 and Football League line) - you cannot do both for that third season?

Correct. If you elect to go Football League line, your refereeing stops there!

Back