A&H

Conflict of interest

Everyone knew I'd been a season ticket holder attending 50+ games a season for Leeds for 15 years before taking up the whistle. I still got appointed to their academy games and Ladies fixtures. Like I said though, EVERYONE knew and they made the decision to leave me on them.

The Referee Store
Everyone knew I'd been a season ticket holder attending 50+ games a season for Leeds for 15 years before taking up the whistle. I still got appointed to their academy games and Ladies fixtures. Like I said though, EVERYONE knew and they made the decision to leave me on them.
I used to referee Leeds Ladies junior teams on the morning and then go off to the game. As long as it's not me making the decision, I don't care.

I guess if you're a low level referee doing matches for your local "big club's" ladies/youth teams, there's going to be a pretty big chance you either support that team or their local rivals!

I guess if you're a low level referee doing matches for your local "big club's" ladies/youth teams, there's going to be a pretty big chance you either support that team or their local rivals!
There can still be issue.

Leeds Ladies have a larger than normal following for the level they are at. A lot of them are Leeds United fans and within certain social media where a lot of them are very active, I'm very recognisable by many of them. All it takes is to be recognised, word spreads, the other team find out, you end up having to give a decision against the other team. Teams think of any old excuse, why wouldn't they use that one? At least if they attempt to report you to your CFA your CFA cannot punish you as you have made them aware and made it their call.

there is always someone all too keen to stab you in the back, and i dont just mean disgruntled fans colleagues, who you might thing of as friends ar4e all to keen to do it too

there is always someone all too keen to stab you in the back, and i dont just mean disgruntled fans colleagues, who you might thing of as friends ar4e all to keen to do it too

100% spot on. In my experience most referees who are reported to their CFA are reported by fellow referees. As sad as it is, there will be a steady queue of people ready to stab you in the back, my advice would be don't allow it to happen.

O
There can still be issue.

Leeds Ladies have a larger than normal following for the level they are at. A lot of them are Leeds United fans and within certain social media where a lot of them are very active, I'm very recognisable by many of them. All it takes is to be recognised, word spreads, the other team find out, you end up having to give a decision against the other team. Teams think of any old excuse, why wouldn't they use that one? At least if they attempt to report you to your CFA your CFA cannot punish you as you have made them aware and made it their call.
Oh yeah, of course. I'm just saying that if (for example) Leeds decided that they couldn't have any of their youth/ladies sides refereed by anyone who either supports Leeds or any other local side, they might be struggling to find referees without having to pay extortionate expenses!

And if the FA believe there is a conflict of interest, they won't care what Charlie believes.
To be fair, if you read the whole of my previous post, I wasn't actually supporting or advocating Charlie's position. Just disputing ASM's assertion that the regulations, as written, require him to declare it.

Do you actually support West Ham ladies or have no real interest either way? Just because you follow the senior men's side, it doesn't naturally follow that you support their other teams.

I'm a Liverpool supporter but have no interest in the ladies football team. Not that I am going to be reffing Liverpool or their ladies anytime soon... :D

O

Oh yeah, of course. I'm just saying that if (for example) Leeds decided that they couldn't have any of their youth/ladies sides refereed by anyone who either supports Leeds or any other local side, they might be struggling to find referees without having to pay extortionate expenses!

Not at all. Leeds falls under West Riding County FA. That includes the likes of Bradford, Huddersfield and Wakefield. All significant areas with fans supporting over teams. Wakefield albeit not having a major team, contains a lot of Huddersfield fans. Bringing officials in from North Riding also isn't that expensive, for some it's nearer.

Do you actually support West Ham ladies or have no real interest either way? Just because you follow the senior men's side, it doesn't naturally follow that you support their other teams.

I'm a Liverpool supporter but have no interest in the ladies football team. Not that I am going to be reffing Liverpool or their ladies anytime soon... :D

the only interest I have in them is one of their centre halves in the first team and an attacker in the development squad ... :p:p

they aren't anything to do with the mens team, no affiliation etc and no, I have no interest whatsoever - just another team to do my job with

Back