A&H

Consistant Infringements of the LOTG

IslandReferee

Aloha guys. I have not checked in a bit but am going to go through some threads now. This is the topic that has been up for me. I ran a preseason game I gave a yellow for this. The next regular season game I did, the same thing happened but on a different player, but on the same team. Now just today, different squads but same result, caution. Most of all these fouls were for pushing with an occasional triple tripping. Yes I warned them, yes we made eye contact, and yes they committed the offense and received the caution.

Was this just an odd three games I ran, I know the cautions were legit, or is this something that is becoming more and more common?

The Referee Store
Are you talking about persistent offences? It's not the most common reason for a caution but I'd say it happens with reasonable regularity.

Are you talking about persistent offences? It's not the most common reason for a caution but I'd say it happens with reasonable regularity.
I would somewhat disagree with that, if only because of how we're taught to communicate/sell a potential PI caution.

I've been observed and been on the line for ref's who are being observed and the expectation is that if a player is one caution away from PI, you pull them aside, point out the location of their previous indiscretions and make it clear they're walking a tightrope. Generally speaking, this goes one of three ways - they get subbed off (especially where roll-on-roll-off applies), they toe the line and behave for at least 15 mins and get a "soft reset" on the PI, or they think "f*** it" and launch themselves into a tackle that just gets a straight yellow/red card irrespective of the PI.

What really doesn't seem to happen for me is the same player committing another minor foul - I can only think of 1 of those I've given this season, which is a tiny % given the number of cards I have shown!

Set them up for a fall, but leave a get out clause. Be seen to be publicly talking to them, pointing out the rough location of the offences so that everyone knows it is for persistent fouling.

By leave a get out clause I mean don't use the captain at that point. I've seen referees warn players for PI and they then get sent off for the most innocuous of innocuous fouls, like two players jumping together and one slightly nudging the other. You don't really want that, and by not using the captain earlier you still have that trick in your pocket if necessary.

These 4 fouls were for pushing within a 15 minute time period and the third one was in the box and I awarded a penalty kick which was scored. This player is notorious for being very aggressive and pushing. They either need to stop pushing constantly or they will receive the cards. I think the talking more to the player is great advice, but not to some players. I know a large handful of players who just do not want to hear a word that you say so as the old Hawaii 5-0 braddahs used to say.....Book em Dano!

Be wary of this notion of pointing at where the offences have been Sure enough you might be indicating 4 prev spots on the park, which is fine until its pointed out to you an opponent is on 5/6 fouls and no talking to/card.

Sadly for some players they do stand out, for various reasons, some players don’t though. I think one of the biggest factors for me was the persistent fouler with the bigger mouth just sealed the deal. No mouth with it and it didn’t stand out as much but the chirpy ones seemed to get the cards first. Nothing hard and fast but just the way I remember them...

Back