A&H

Correct decision??

Made up stat alert*

ith no goalkeeper to beat a professional footballer ian going to hit the target 95%* of the time. With no goalkeeper they don’t need to try and whack it in the top corner.

The Referee Store
I think that the making up of numbers that everybody is doing is simply confusing the issue.

The only question here is:-

- Is the attacker likely to retrieve the ball before the nearest defender is in his face?
- when the attacker retrieves the ball, how many defenders could be between him and the goal?
Those are the only issues here.

View attachment 2540
Defenders have MUCH more ground to cover to have a chance of preventing a goal-scoring opportunity than the attacker does to retrieve the ball and have an open net.

I few disagreements.
The top defender isn't sprinting, he's at a fast jog at best. IMO he has almost no chance of getting between the attacker and the goal.
The middle defender is running back to cover. Hard to say how good his position will be when the attacker gets it.

The bottom defender you've marked is also jogging - and jogging towards goal, not the attacker. Again, zero chance of involvement for me. he's trying to block a potential cross for some reason.

The bottommost defender - the one you haven't marked, is the only one that I really questioned - but then I noticed that he's only running towards goal. He doesn't turn towards the attacker until after the keeper commits his foul - and the ball changes direction towards this defender. There are no defenders actually moving towards the attacker, so the attacker will easily retrieve the ball with no pressure. And he is already in shooting range/angle when he does, which means only the middle defender you've marked will be between him and the goal

I few disagreements.
The top defender isn't sprinting, he's at a fast jog at best. IMO he has almost no chance of getting between the attacker and the goal.
The middle defender is running back to cover. Hard to say how good his position will be when the attacker gets it.

The bottom defender you've marked is also jogging - and jogging towards goal, not the attacker. Again, zero chance of involvement for me. he's trying to block a potential cross for some reason.

The bottommost defender - the one you haven't marked, is the only one that I really questioned - but then I noticed that he's only running towards goal. He doesn't turn towards the attacker until after the keeper commits his foul - and the ball changes direction towards this defender. There are no defenders actually moving towards the attacker, so the attacker will easily retrieve the ball with no pressure. And he is already in shooting range/angle when he does, which means only the middle defender you've marked will be between him and the goal
I agree with you, I was demonstrating that they wouldn't be able to prevent the OGSO

The discussion here IMHO is just making this redder and redder.

It’s obviously an obvious goalscoring opportunity. TBH I think you can still argue DOGSO with one, two players already in the 6 yard box in a situation like this.

GK handling outside the box to prevent an attacker gaining clear unchallenged possession are surely very easy red cards to give. Surely this is one reason why we have the Dogso law.

Even if the keeper hadn’t touched the ball the play still would have had to move away from the goal to regain possession of the ball, those few seconds would have allowed the 3 defenders to get into the penalty area, at least one would have been close enough to challenge the player.

Not that obvious

Reactions: one
Back