A&H

Correct decision??

The Referee Store
Im amazed that anyone on here does not consider this DOGSO, for me 100% DOGSO red card.
I think you only have to look at the very cogent arguments put forward by different posters to see that it's not a 100% certain DOGSO call. If it was, no-one would be even debating it but plenty are.

The main points of contention for me are the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball, in conjunction with the number of defenders. After the attacker's last touch, the ball is going one way and he is going another. By the time he gets back to it, there would have been at least two defenders blocking his way to goal with a third who might have got there, perhaps even in time to directly challenge the player for possession of the ball - although I'm less sure on that last point.

I think the decision could have gone either way and I definitely don't agree with the pundits who were saying it couldn't be anything other than a red card for the sole reason of it being a handling offence by the keeper outside the area. They were adamant that no other decision was even permissible under the law, which just isn't true.

1538743869164.png
Defenders have MUCH more ground to cover to have a chance of preventing a goal-scoring opportunity than the attacker does to retrieve the ball and have an open net.

View attachment 2540
Defenders have MUCH more ground to cover to have a chance of preventing a goal-scoring opportunity than the attacker does to retrieve the ball and have an open net.
Still photos can be deceptive. You can't ignore that the momentum of all the players is a full sprint to the left at the moment of this still - including the one that needs to move a few meters right to get to the ball!

View attachment 2540
You got most your arrows right except for the one the more important ones, attacker regaining control.
1538745345504.png

its a yellow for me, mainly because im not 100% convinced that the attacker would have had time to regain control of the ball and take a shot before any of the defenders were able to intercept.

I would support either decision here. It is very wide, and I'd question if you put 20 players in that position how many would actually score. I suspect at elite level probably around half, at lower levels it would be much less. There's still a lot of work to do so I would probably go with a yellow as I'm not sure it was obvious enough.

How does that matter ?

The word constantly missed out is goal scoring opportunity not a goal.

How does that matter ?

The word constantly missed out is goal scoring opportunity not a goal.

Because if only 50% of elite level players would score from that position then that isn't obvious enough for me. He still had a lot of work to do to get the ball in the net, and just not obvious enough for me.

a 50% chance of something happening isn't obvious.
One on one with the keeper is 50 50 at grass roots
Equivalently, I'd expect a red card for this in the professional game
Denying that obvious opportunity is the correct literal interpretation of the sequence of words in dogso (notwithstanding the the guidance on this Law)

Because if only 50% of elite level players would score from that position then that isn't obvious enough for me. He still had a lot of work to do to get the ball in the net, and just not obvious enough for me.
We'd give a red for DOGSO with just the keeper to beat and we wouldn't even consider whether the player is good enough to beat the keeper, it's still an obvious opportunity...

Back