A&H

Correct decision??

The Referee Store
Well, it was not a clear case of DOGSO: there were defenders back and it was not certain the attacker would reach the ball: so it can only be a caution for SPA. Personally not even sure about that in this case, but it's probably what the game would expect...

1538605033103.png
DOGSO for me

Distance - just outside penalty area
Direction - ball going towards penalty area and goal
Control - attacker will for sure retrieve the ball
Defenders - nowhere near the ball and very unlikely to stop it should the attacker shoot

Difficult one though and at full speed I agreed with the referee...

Yellow for me too. One thing about direction, while at the time of the foul the ball is going towards goal, the attacker is running away from it. He can turn and get control of it but the extra bit of time needed will give defender more time to organise and get back.

Yellow for me too. One thing about direction, while at the time of the foul the ball is going towards goal, the attacker is running away from it. He can turn and get control of it but the extra bit of time needed will give defender more time to organise and get back.
Fair point, in my opinion he still will get there in plenty of time to have a shot at an open goal, can absolutely see the argument for yellow

This is an interesting one....and I could accept either decision here.
Direction - the ball was knocked backwards slightly, but back and across - still more towards goal, and it's still in a position where it's easy to hit the goal on the first or 2nd touch, so no problem here.
Distance to goal is fine.
It's the number of defenders. There's 1 blocking the goal (that's fine - normally it's a sweeper committing the foul and the keeper in goals, so far the OGSO remains) and another 2 in the middle. IMO they have no chance of intecepting the ball - the touch to the side was well weighted and was definitely going to end up closer to the attacker. And if the attacker was following the ball to the right, those defenders would have no chance of getting involved, so that would be DOGSO.
But by running past the ball in this fashion, the attacker has to slow, stop, turn, accelerate, then slow and turn again.
Personally, I'm inclined to think that the ball would have been close enough that he can still do that and reclaim the ball well before the other defenders are able to get between him and the goal - but I can accept there might be some doubt over that. That there might be doubt over whether the attacker can get himself back into a scoring position before the other defenders are in a position to block or intercept.

IF you disagree and say the attacker will easily be able to reclaim the ball while the defenders are too far away, it's red. If you think there's a bit of doubt as he had run past the ball, it's yellow. I can accept either, I'm inclined to think yellow

What makes it more red for me is: why would the GK make a deliberate HB here if, in his own mind, he wasn’t preventing a goalscoring chance? The GK has done this to stop the player scoring. That’s got nothing to do with the wording in the LotG but it makes me think red.

What makes it more red for me is: why would the GK make a deliberate HB here if, in his own mind, he wasn’t preventing a goalscoring chance? The GK has done this to stop the player scoring. That’s got nothing to do with the wording in the LotG but it makes me think red.
You can apply this same logic to every SPA foul and make it DOGSO. The ultimately aim of every foul is to stop opposition from scoring goals. LOTG is clear on what should be considered when evaluating DOGSO.

like @CapnBloodbeard i'm ok with red or yellow here but i'd be more inclined to go red. i can see why he's given what he's given, the attacker is wide and there are defenders covering.

But i think his next touch is a shot into a goal with no keeper and max one defender in proximity to the goal, if that's not a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity i'm not sure what is!

Doubt means i'd probably have shown yellow (in all likelihood)
However, i might have expected red in the professional game

Doubt means i'd probably have shown yellow (in all likelihood)
However, i might have expected red in the professional game
That's a good way of putting it. Dave Random on a Sunday morning is in all likelihood going to miss from that angle, so yellow makes sense. Professional football player should be expected to at least hit the target from there, meaning red is more justified.

Does the footed-ness of the player come into it at all? A right footed player coming back to collect the ball would be able to hit that first time with his preferred foot and would naturally get the right kind of curl to bend it in. A left footed attacker coming back would either have to hit it first time with his weaker foot, or take a touch to use his stronger foot, giving the defender slightly more time to get back and potentially making the shot more difficult due to the natural outswing?

He's guaranteed to have a shot from inside the penalty area with only one defender potentially able to block the shot. If the angle was was more acute I could understand yellow..

You can apply this same logic to every SPA foul and make it DOGSO. The ultimately aim of every foul is to stop opposition from scoring goals. LOTG is clear on what should be considered when evaluating DOGSO.
I disagree. An SPA foul on the wing as a winger cuts inside, or with a player running through the middle, or a classic shirt pull 35m out... the common case with SPA is that the field has opened up for the player with the ball some distance from goal... driving forward is really common... there's a pass, cross or longer run needed to get in a goalscoring position... the defender is often trying to tactically stop the developing attack... hence SPA is such a fitting title.

OK, sometimes there's SPA on the edge of the box as someone is in traffic with a shooting/crossing chance... but, to turn it back on you, if someone is fouling to stop a goalscoring opportunity, then there might be a DOGSO case!

Another thing about this case... one flimsy defender might, just might, be between the player and the goal... a defender that can't use their hands... the more I look at it the more I think the GK has got a away with murder here.

I would support either decision here. It is very wide, and I'd question if you put 20 players in that position how many would actually score. I suspect at elite level probably around half, at lower levels it would be much less. There's still a lot of work to do so I would probably go with a yellow as I'm not sure it was obvious enough.

Back