A&H

Could happen to any of us.... NOT!

The Referee Store
Howard Webb tells a similar story about his father - was due at Scunthorpe I think he said.

This was at a RA talk a few years ago. Think he said he didn't get another FL appointment for a year after that.

Last year I was due to referee an u12s game for my son's team. A few days prior to the match, I had an accident cycling to work after a fight with the invisible man. Fortunately it resulted in nothing more serious than heavy bruising, a few lumps/bumps and a bit of wounded pride. :confused:

Spoke to the manager and the team secretary (my wife) and they contacted the local FA to arrange a replacement as no other parents were willing to cover the game. Wife received a call from the appointments secretary, who confirmed a referee had been sorted. Morning of the game, ref sec called again to say she had just spoken to the ref, who was still happy to cover the game and just wanted confirmation of time and venue.

Get to the game, goals and respect line set up etc, no sign of the ref. Contact the ref sec, she couldn't get hold of him. Come kick off time, still hadn't arrived. Manager's older son who had never refereed a game in his life was thrown in the deep end. IMHO considering it was his first game, he did a good job.

Wife spoke to ref sec again the day after the game and she confirmed she still wasn't able to contact the ref or had any explanation as to why he never showed up, but told us she wouldn't be using him again. Maybe the prospect of taking charge of the u12s on the local rec was too much for him to handle! :D

Back