A&H

Delaying giving name at a caution

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
Had an incident last weekend where I had a player in the book at the end of the game for dissent. His team was 3-2 up with opposition fighting for third goal. Few minutes left.

When I asked his name he blankly stared at me for 10 seconds, I asked again, more moaning about decision. This went on for 30 seconds before he gave me his name.

By this point I was very tempted to do a three card trick for delaying restart but I resisted!

How do you guys deal with this?

The Referee Store
Was it really 10 seconds of blank staring? Was it really 30 seconds of continued moaning? Or did it just feel like it?

During the 10 seconds of staring I'd have asked for his name at least one more time. During the 30 seconds of moaning, I'd have given him a warning that you were considering a 2nd caution for dissent. If he continued, I would have issued one more warning and then if he failed to comply I would have gone for a double caution.

Truly was 30 seconds. And did ask him a few times in that 10 seconds! I was nearing my patience limit when he finally piped up in a muffled voice (as always eh?) With his name

number on shirt and match to teamsheet - no?

Name please, name please. Guess your captain know your name - Captain, what's your players name please? Thanks Capt, Player - heres your card.

whinge ....

There's your second, have a nice shower.

Why do i get the impression that we are spoilt down here in London?!?!

Everytime I suggest something it seems that it never happens anywhere else - teamsheets, nets, changing rooms, being paid match fees and kit colours to name but 4 recent points.

God help me when I move from the big smoke!

I remember asking a player for his name during a caution and he said "it's on the team sheet"

I asked again and he repeated "it's on the team sheet"

Last chance or have it your way and I report that mr team sheet picked up a caution.

The player did not understand the real cost of this. His captain and manager did and were screaming at him to stop being an idiot. He gave me his name and was promptly subbed.

Everytime I suggest something it seems that it never happens anywhere else - teamsheets, nets, changing rooms, being paid match fees and kit colours to name but 4 recent points.

My Saturday league does provide them but although the Sunday league is fantastically run, there is not a sniff of a team sheet!

I remember asking a player for his name during a caution and he said "it's on the team sheet"

I asked again and he repeated "it's on the team sheet"

Last chance or have it your way and I report that mr team sheet picked up a caution.

The player did not understand the real cost of this. His captain and manager did and were screaming at him to stop being an idiot. He gave me his name and was promptly subbed.

I hope, for your sake, monkey, that 'his' name wasn't 'Sonya Teemsheet'

We to are spoilt, we have to have the team sheet in our dressing room (yes our very own dressing room) 30 mins before kick off, or they get reported, we also have to have match fee in our dressing room 15 mins after the game, if there's a club house I always take it in there whilst having a pint, and if they think I've had a **** game I let them buy me a pint!!

I can't wait till I get to L6 we even get fed afterwards!!

Iv yet to do a game up here where iv not been given a team sheet and thats 4 years worth of refereeing. The other scots ref that post(i forget the name) you the same??? Id be very wary about doing a game without them.

Presumably you're all talking about o/a, cos you'll rarely see them for yoof matches

I would certainly have not waited 30 seconds. I would have taken his number and reported that number for refusing to give his name.

Just out of interest how did the trailing team react to the delay. In my experience teams chasing the game will be on my back if the opposition goalie doesn't sprint like Usain Bolt to collect the ball for a goal kick. Let alone a mega long delay just to get someone in the book.

They knew id added the time on and were happy with that. Watch in air, exagerated push of the stop button. In perfect karma they scored the equaliser 15 seconds later!

What's a team sheet?
There is nothing wrong with you asking for them to write you a team sheet, even if the league do not require one. Law 5 has one of the powers & duties as
acts as timekeeper and keeps a record of the match

keeping a record of the match could include a requirement for all the players to be listed. CLubs will moan, but if you do it every week they will realise that of you.
If they refuse, either abandon and report them or become their worst nightmare as a referee......

They knew id added the time on and were happy with that. Watch in air, exagerated push of the stop button. In perfect karma they scored the equaliser 15 seconds later!

I find that this works even when I've not actually stopped my watch ;)

There is nothing wrong with you asking for them to write you a team sheet, even if the league do not require one. Law 5 has one of the powers & duties as
acts as timekeeper and keeps a record of the match

keeping a record of the match could include a requirement for all the players to be listed. CLubs will moan, but if you do it every week they will realise that of you.
If they refuse, either abandon and report them or become their worst nightmare as a referee......

Anyone who tries to do this for a game where the league in question doesn't require it deserves all the flak that they get

Abandon a game for it.....you're surely 'avin a giraffe?

Imho

Back