A&H

Deliberate Pass Back

raf83

Level 7 Referee
Is a deliberate pass back that slightly
deflects off an opponent permitted to be picked up by the goalkeeper?

And can you tell a goalkeeper (if they ask) if they can pick up a ball (or not) from a pass back that is not obviously deliberate?

The Referee Store
Thank you
I've noticed on the higher up games I do on the line, keepers are constantly asking the referee in the middle about pass backs.

Had one recently where keeper picked it up after asking the ref and he blew for a pass back IDFK. Keeper was eventually sin binned saying it was refs fault not communicating the pass back clearly enough (he wouldn't restart the game and was just following the ref around).

Is a deliberate pass back that slightly
deflects off an opponent permitted to be picked up by the goalkeeper?

And can you tell a goalkeeper (if they ask) if they can pick up a ball (or not) from a pass back that is not obviously deliberate?
@JamesL already replied but just to add that your first query came up for discussion back in 2017 and I sent an email to the IFAB about it. See below.

Screenshot_2024_0415_141211.png

Oh and by the way, be careful about using the term "pass back" - although it's a convenient short hand term, it is somewhat misleading and can lead to a misapprehension of what the law actually means.

Keep in mind that not all passes fall within the scope of this law (only those that are kicked, and are meant for the keeper) and also, the ball does not have to travel in a backwards direction.

Be very wary of the language used to communicate this to a GK. I had all manner or trouble once after shouting "don't pick it up" - GK did pick it up, I blew for the IFK and he went mad claiming he hadn't heard the "don't" and so I had told him to pick it up!

As a result, if this ever comes up again, my shout now is "Nooooooooo hands" to try and be clearer!

I was refereeing an U12s game and the CB (outside the box but facing his own goal) attempted to smash the ball out for a throw-in but sliced it and it was heading out for a corner... The GK sprinted 20 yards and picked it up on the very edge of his area by the goalline. Away coaches screaming for a FK which I waved away telling them there was no way on Earth it was deliberate, unless of course he has the ability to play the best disguised ball I have ever seen.

Back