A&H

Did I get my yellow card wrong?

dylanbailey4444

Level 5 Referee
So today I had a u14’s game. I am moving away from doing youth football and only do these games to help out the referee Secretary or if I am doing it for the teams I coach (from u14-u16’s teams) but apart from that it’s usually county u18’s and u23’s and mens. Today I yellow carded a goalkeeper- he had the ball in his hands and had smothered it- gone to ground at pace- his momentum then had taken him outside of his area towards the corner flag (not to the corner flag, in the general direction of the corner flag) I yellow carded him for this and there was no complaints. The goalkeepers dad then comes up at the end and asked if I'm putting it through. I told him I am. He said I don’t have to put it through. I said I do. I said that I may have ‘made a mistake’ but I gave the card so I should put it through. We then had a discussion as he had read through the rules (his words- not mine!) and was saying that it wasn’t intentional, it wasn’t deliberate, his momentum had taken him, it wasn’t DOGSO etc etc and I told him that it would go down as SPA. I then thought about it and then I think I’m wrong on that. I would like to think that I got this card correct but I may well be wrong. The goalkeepers dad said he would be appealing it. We had a discussion about it and he said he would appeal it and thought it was a free kick but now a yellow.

Any comments appreciated. I would definitely like to know what it should go down as (if a yellow) and any other advice anyone has to offer.

Thank you

The Referee Store
You've answered your own question. It only needs a caution if his handling stops a promising attack, or red if it is DOGSO. From the way you have described it neither of those apply so it should have just been a free kick.

The parent can try and appeal all he likes, you can't appeal cautions.

So today I had a u14’s game. I am moving away from doing youth football and only do these games to help out the referee Secretary or if I am doing it for the teams I coach (from u14-u16’s teams) but apart from that it’s usually county u18’s and u23’s and mens. Today I yellow carded a goalkeeper- he had the ball in his hands and had smothered it- gone to ground at pace- his momentum then had taken him outside of his area towards the corner flag (not to the corner flag, in the general direction of the corner flag) I yellow carded him for this and there was no complaints. The goalkeepers dad then comes up at the end and asked if I'm putting it through. I told him I am. He said I don’t have to put it through. I said I do. I said that I may have ‘made a mistake’ but I gave the card so I should put it through. We then had a discussion as he had read through the rules (his words- not mine!) and was saying that it wasn’t intentional, it wasn’t deliberate, his momentum had taken him, it wasn’t DOGSO etc etc and I told him that it would go down as SPA. I then thought about it and then I think I’m wrong on that. I would like to think that I got this card correct but I may well be wrong. The goalkeepers dad said he would be appealing it. We had a discussion about it and he said he would appeal it and thought it was a free kick but now a yellow.

Any comments appreciated. I would definitely like to know what it should go down as (if a yellow) and any other advice anyone has to offer.

Thank you
C1 unsporting behaviour and the FA code is HB for handball.
Handball isn't a mandatory caution. Cautions for handball when:
Stops promising attack,
Failed Dogso attempt,
Attempts to score a goal,
Offence is unsporting - which is obviously subjective.

Kudos to dad though, most parents think any handling outside is a mandatory red 😬 obviously all kudos was lost when he felt he could approach you in the manner he did. 🤦

Information from James, correct.

Based on the information in your post, I probably wouldn’t have cautioned.

But once you’ve cautioned, correct process applies and don’t let anyone put you off / bully you out of sending it in by placing doubt in your mind.

He also can’t appeal a yellow unless it’s mistaken identity, so don’t worry about that.

You could add an extra report or contact discipline and say you cautioned a player and duly reported it, but on reflection you believe the caution incorrect. Up to county then how they deal with it

You could add an extra report or contact discipline and say you cautioned a player and duly reported it, but on reflection you believe the caution incorrect. Up to county then how they deal with it
I'd definitely do this in a red card I later regret. Hasn't happened to me but happened for a game I was AR for. Not usually worth the bother for yellow unless it is really playing up on your mind.

C1 unsporting behaviour and the FA code is HB for handball.
Handball isn't a mandatory caution. Cautions for handball when:
Stops promising attack,
Failed Dogso attempt,
Attempts to score a goal,
Offence is unsporting - which is obviously subjective.

Kudos to dad though, most parents think any handling outside is a mandatory red 😬 obviously all kudos was lost when he felt he could approach you in the manner he did. 🤦
To be fair, he was nicer than you would expect and quite polite. But not happy that he asked me not to put it though!

I would add a note to say that on reflection, you didn't feel it was a caution because... reasons quoted above. Then go on to mention the request not to submit the report. All bases covered and might discourage future similar requests! 😉

Back