A&H

Dissent at half time

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Had an incident on the line last night. At half time, one of the players from the losing team came close to crossing the line for dissent to the referee after the half time whistle had been blown and as the players were walking back to the dressing rooms.

It got me wondering, if you were going to go for a dissent caution would you apply the sin bin to commence from the start of the second half, or would you give a "standard C2" caution (as you would if it was done at full time)

The Referee Store
I might stand to be corrected on this but ...

I believe the Sin Bin is only operational during actual "game time" (hence the reason you add time onto it for injuries etc).

If dissent took place after the half time whistle I'd be going for a normal Caution. :)

Great question though. Another good question would be how do you manage dissent during KFTPM?

I’ve banged loads of cards at half time and especially full time. It was a fruitful time for the FA! 👍

Great question though. Another good question would be how do you manage dissent during KFTPM?
Standard dissent caution. As a player in the sin bin at full time can take part in KFTPM so it stands to reason use of the temporary dismissal ends at the full time whistle and any misconduct afterwards is dealt with appropriately.

"Including during half time interval"

View attachment 3682
\
Does this not refer to when you are able to show any card, rather than TD? I'm pretty sure that clause has always been in the LOTG and they have just bundled TDs in there. You can't TD during KFTPM so I think it's just poor wording (shock).

Reactions: ARF
\
Does this not refer to when you are able to show any card, rather than TD? I'm pretty sure that clause has always been in the LOTG and they have just bundled TDs in there. You can't TD during KFTPM so I think it's just poor wording (shock).
^ this.

Any caution for dissent before the start of the match, during half-time, or after the final whistle would be a normal C2 caution, not a sin bin.

\
Good point but even if the clause had been in the law and TD was added, it does not mean half time does not apply to TD. It just means it may not apply because they didn't think of the implications when they bundled it in. It could also mean they did think of the implications and used it correctly.

So when a law is not clear we look at its intent/spirit. Does this make the answer any easier.
1567033883568.png

Good point but even if the clause had been in the law and TD was added, it does not mean half time does not apply to TD. It just means it may not apply because they didn't think of the implications when they bundled it in. It could also mean they did think of the implications and used it correctly.

So when a law is not clear we look at its intent/spirit. Does this make the answer any easier.
View attachment 3683
It's one for Mr Ellery, I think.

Back