A&H

Dissent to AR

I tell my AR's to call me over if discipline is required. I don't expect to be dragged over for a petty spat or words, though being called a cheat is not acceptable and is something I would not tolerate on my pitch.

The Referee Store
I'm struggling to see why people are worried about reporting the ref?

A reputation for not tolerating being called a cheat, and for not tolerating a colleague who facilitates that abuse by not sanctioning it properly?

Yeah, what a tragedy that would be.

If a fellow referee did not send someone off for calling me a cheat then I would report them and I'd report the player as well

Just on a slightly different point, if during the match a CAR has a complaint about something said (dissent or OFFINABUS) which you were not privy to, how do we handle this properly? I have always been told that we cannot undertake disciplinary action on the basis of what a CAR says, and the pre-match talk is clear on that. However, is there a way of assuring an aggrieved individual that action can/will be taken by a referee in the form of a report, or is it a matter for the clubs (and in serious cases for criminal law)?

Last edited:
Just on a slightly different point, if during the match a CAR has a complaint about something said (dissent or OFFINABUS) which you were not privy to, how do we handle this properly? I have always been told that we cannot take disciplinary action on the basis of what a CAR says, and the pre-match talk is clear on that. However, is there a way of assuring an aggrieved individual that action can/will be taken by a referee in the form of a report, or is it a matter for the clubs (and in serious cases for criminal law)?
hmmm interesting one, I would personally treat it in a similar fashion to the player using OffinAbus against spectators or any other individuals. the LOTG does not specify for the following offences (spitting at an opponent or any other person, violent conduct, using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures) who should be on the receiving end and they are classed as a red card offence(s). The law goes into more details naturally regarding violent conduct but i would use that as my reasoning when dealing with OffinAbus.

Depending on what is being said and exchanged, I might opt for the stepped approach with a public and stern rebuke to make it clear to everyone involved the severity of the situation, probably involve the captain/coach with a warning that they are on very very thin ice and further incidents will results in a disciplinary action.

If a fellow referee did not send someone off for calling me a cheat then I would report them and I'd report the player as well

An assistant referee cannot instigate disciplinary action against a player, it has to be instigated by the referee with a supporting report from the assistant if he was involved in the incident. County just wouldn't be able to process it, or would contact the referee to find out what had happened. Even if they did somehow manage to process the report and the player was charged, he would rightly claim that no action was taken at the time so how can he be subsequently charged.

You'd be wasting everyone's time, yourself included.

A reputation for not tolerating being called a cheat, and for not tolerating a colleague who facilitates that abuse by not sanctioning it properly?

Not worried about reporting him, but I would be if nothing was said about it after the game. You should at least try to deal with grievances in private and person, if he then refuses to accept he was wrong and apologise then by all means send a report in. I always used to say to my assistant that they should tell me if they were unhappy or thought I had done something wrong, and we would have a discussion about it. The last thing you want to hear on the referee rumour mill is that your assistants thought you had a nightmare when they said you had done well, likewise you don't want to find they have reported you when nothing was said after the game.

hmmm interesting one, I would personally treat it in a similar fashion to the player using OffinAbus against spectators or any other individuals. the LOTG does not specify for the following offences (spitting at an opponent or any other person, violent conduct, using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures) who should be on the receiving end and they are classed as a red card offence(s). The law goes into more details naturally regarding violent conduct but i would use that as my reasoning when dealing with OffinAbus.

Depending on what is being said and exchanged, I might opt for the stepped approach with a public and stern rebuke to make it clear to everyone involved the severity of the situation, probably involve the captain/coach with a warning that they are on very very thin ice and further incidents will results in a disciplinary action.

The problem is the CAR could be lying and nothing of the sort was actually said to him, so it is dangerous to start accusing someone of abusing him when you have his word against the player's.

All I would do is tell him I hadn't heard it, but that I would try and listen out for anything further said. Not really a lot more than you can do. The only way it should be reported post game is if the allegation involves discrimination, in which case you are obliged to report it even if you didn't hear it.

An assistant referee cannot instigate disciplinary action against a player, it has to be instigated by the referee with a supporting report from the assistant if he was involved in the incident. County just wouldn't be able to process it, or would contact the referee to find out what had happened. Even if they did somehow manage to process the report and the player was charged, he would rightly claim that no action was taken at the time so how can he be subsequently charged.

You'd be wasting everyone's time, yourself included.

Wrong my mate who is from the same county as me had the above same incident by using offing us and he reported the referee and the player and the player got suspended and so did the referee

Wrong my mate who is from the same county as me had the above same incident by using offing us and he reported the referee and the player and the player got suspended and so did the referee

All that is wrong there is that your CFA got it wrong. I'm disciplinary trained and that simply is not allowed, if the player had appealed and it went to the FA they would 100% throw the suspension out..

@Padfoot i would have no qualms with reporting the ref, i was referring to @ref craig saying report the dismissal as an assistant. As others have now said you cant and shouldn't do that.

Rusty the player in question got a 3 match ban for what he said to my friend so maybe at your county FA you handle things differently but I'd still report what he said to me

Rusty the player in question got a 3 match ban for what he said to my friend so maybe at your county FA you handle things differently but I'd still report what he said to me

But if he or his club had the gumption to appeal to the FA it would have 100% been thrown out, and then the CFA would be in trouble.

Only referees can report misconduct, that is factual and cannot be open to any kind of debate.

I have to agree with RustyRef here, the man in the middle delivers the sanction and shows the cards not the AR. His actions and he is held accountable for them. I would however agree that the referee should be reported so he can be re-educated as to what is considered to be acceptable and how he should be working as part of a team in relation to working with ARs.

Last edited:
I have to argue with RustyRef here, the man in the middle delivers the sanction and shows the cards not the AR. His actions and he is held accountable for them. I would however agree that the referee should be reported so he can be re-educated as to what is considered to be acceptable and how he should be working as part of a team in relation to working with ARs.
Do you mean agree? Not argue

Back