A&H

Dissent

The Referee Store
In dissent news, I had a fairly sensible OA game today, the teams played well and hard... but one team at corners put 6 guys around the GK and it caused some ructions. After warning, def DFK for pushing, a dead ball USB for tripping at various corners there was one where there some shouting and the some mild stuff at me. For the first time, I did big voice and gave them the full naughty boys hairdryer "do - not - shout - at - me" heard several post codes away. It reminded me that I can be very loud. It actually shut them all up. I could feel the dissent drip away.

Later in the game one GK had a whinge about a decision from 30 yards away and I regretted not carding him. But a few mins later when he swore at his teammates in a volley of abuse at a corner I gave him a YC. I told him I'd heard enough and I put at through as USB not dissent.

What surprised me was that, after "the big shout" both captains were really proactive in helping me head off any other strops very early.

Anyway, great assistants today, bit of mist, one very smart team on the counter, very compact, top of the league, won 2-0, let the other team have the ball, yes, very very well drilled. Really enjoyed it. Will definitely revisit my big shouting day!

I think by getting the 'big shout' in, most players recognise that you've handed out your warning and that any further dissent is stupid. It seems to shift the emphasis of 'blame' from the ref to the players in many players eyes (even though any dissent is obviously the fault of the individual). I think (wrongly) players often expect to get away with a bit of mild dissent, but once you've given your warning people in the main do accept that the ref has been 'fair' and that any further dissent is going too far.

This reasoning is obviously wrong because dissent is dissent at any time, it's just the perception of the players. It's almost those three dreaded words......what football expects

Nothing better to see than watching a game on TV and a player runs over giving some obvious dissent and the ref stands there and then out comes the Lemon, and another if he carries on too..... I'm sure that gives us all a lift and an inner smile seeing it dealt with correctly as per the LOTG instead of this silly pandering to overpaid prima donnas who just dont understand the word 'No'!! Feck em!!!

I tried deviating from my usual 'yellow card first' method last weekend and found that although the talk-to-captain method was indeed good at cutting out verbal dissent, it didn't stop the team trying to find other ways of going on the wind up. - Enough that I got my first c7 caution... :p

I think I can see the merits in trying it that way, but I'm going to stick to the yellow-card-first option because it just works for me and they don't push their luck when they see they have no options to get around me, but I gave it a go anyway. :)

Back