A&H

Do you have to use sin bins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Referee

A player, who has already been cautioned for an earlier offense, has been gobby all match. Can you show him a second caution just to get rid of him for the day? Or, do you have to use the sin bin?

Of course, you should always use sin bins when they are in operation; I'm just curious about what the law permits.

The Referee Store
If its sin bins for dissent and that's what he has done, then it has to be sin bin for the 2nd offence.

The only way round it would be to caution for USB - Unspecified I guess when reporting.

The whole point of sin bins is really just for this occurrence - hopefully 10 mins off and his teammates moaning about it will make him less gobby when he comes back on!

A player, who has already been cautioned for an earlier offense, has been gobby all match. Can you show him a second caution just to get rid of him for the day? Or, do you have to use the sin bin?

Of course, you should always use sin bins when they are in operation; I'm just curious about what the law permits.

Sin bins are mandatory for all levels of football at or below step5, so yes you have to use them.

If you did do a 2YC in the instance you described and he appeal, then he would get off and you may be charged - be aware.

has been gobby all match. Can you show him a second caution just to get rid of him
If he has been "gobby all match", then the time you would want to get rid of him should have been the time for his second sin-bin which would have got rid of him and replaced him after 10 minutes anyway. Don't leave the use of sin bin to that late until you feel that its time for him to go instead of its time for him to have a rest.

The answer to the question in general, as already given, is no. You must sin bin when comp rules require it.

Last edited:
Sin bins are mandatory for all levels of football at or below step5, so yes you have to use them.

If you did do a 2YC in the instance you described and he appeal, then he would get off and you may be charged - be aware.

Not that straightforward from my experience

Isthmian Under 18s NOT using them, but the Under 23s are - always best to double check each competition you do I think.

'Caused' my first sin bin yesterday. I flagged what was ( to me at least) a fairly clear offside. Player told ref she was going to report me (yes, yes I know we discussed that in another thread!) so ref sent her to the sin bin (Only 9 mins left as well!)

Isthmian Under 18s NOT using them, but the Under 23s are - always best to double check each competition you do I think.
If Isthmian Under 18s are below Step 5 in the pyramid their league doesn't have a choice. Their only GOOJFC would be if the competition started before June 1st

'Caused' my first sin bin yesterday. I flagged what was ( to me at least) a fairly clear offside. Player told ref she was going to report me (yes, yes I know we discussed that in another thread!) so ref sent her to the sin bin (Only 9 mins left as well!)
If that was on a nice new 4G pitch near Heathrow then I was watching over by the technical areas, having just reffed the home team's development side. Offside decision looked good to me ... :)

It should also used in all minor football, but as a step 3/4 league they may have an exemption for their under 18 league.

It should also used in all minor football, but as a step 3/4 league they may have an exemption for their under 18 league.

That would make sense. Makes less sense that the U23 ARE using them though?

For Brian and others, I did query this with ref sec and he forwarded me an email from the league secretary confirming that the U18s would not be using them - so not just hearsay - as these things sometimes are!

If that was on a nice new 4G pitch near Heathrow then I was watching over by the technical areas, having just reffed the home team's development side. Offside decision looked good to me ... :)

Yes sounds like the same place!

Phew - hope the other half a dozen were OK as well?;)

It was a hot one, not helped by 2 lengthy stoppages plus a drinks break in the 2nd half so about 12 minutes of added time.

Hope your game went well.

Yes sounds like the same place!

Phew - hope the other half a dozen were OK as well?;)

It was a hot one, not helped by 2 lengthy stoppages plus a drinks break in the 2nd half so about 12 minutes of added time.

Hope your game went well.
Only got there just before the sin binning. Was indeed a toasty afternoon! My game was a nice warm down after a somewhat fractious (and poorly refereed, by me :oops:) Southern League game on the Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back