A&H

Do you remember giving your first red card?

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
I was thinking about this the other day. Mine was u15 match, two lads punching each other. Nailed on reds the pair. I remember after the game I had to double check their websites for names as I was shaking so much writing their names I couldn't even read my own writing! Haha!

The Referee Store
I do remember - it was a red card for violent conduct after an elbow into the face of an opponent. Didn't give me a lot of choice.

I see the recipient from time to time. Water under the bridge.

i do...was a school cup game - red v blue - gave a penalty to red (trip in the box - reds were 5-1 up with 15 minutes to go aswell, silly foul) gave a yellow for the foul...recieved a mouthful from the blue player (shocking how much kids know!) warned him about his language, then warned his captain as well who promptly told his player to 'shut it and move on' - that was followed by 'you're a f***ing blind c**t anyway' - swiftly pulled out the yellow again, nice and calm, and produced the red...

that was my first, and thus far...last (ive had a hiatus since and only done few matches here and there)

got a nice little threaten after the match whilst going to my car as well, his dad said 'i know your car now mate, your effing dead!' - unfortunatly for him, i change my car on a regular basis :p

Yup, like it was yesterday. 11 year old who decided that it would be fun to punch an opponent in the face. Cue screams of "hes only 11" from the touchlines when the red came out.

Yep ......second open age game div 2 ....striker makes a run through the middle CARs flag goes up and I blow for the offside and he turns to me and shouts ......how the **** can I be offside from there YOU HELMET tried not to laugh

ohhhhh the temptation to calmly explain the offisde rule in detail lol so patronising....

then send him off haha

I remember my first OA red as well, it was in my first ever OA fixture. Shambles of a game, I had a shocker. Fella flings and elbow and catches the chasing defending in the face. I'm already having a bad game and know this won't make anything better. Got the red out, and to this day I utterly regret this, I apologised to the guy as I sent him off! I mean talk about making myself look a complete idiot. I managed to survive the rest of the game. It did at the time leave me a rather broken man. I later found out they were two of the worst teams in the league for discipline, and both got expelled from this league before the end of that season!

i do...was a school cup game - red v blue - gave a penalty to red (trip in the box - reds were 5-1 up with 15 minutes to go aswell, silly foul) gave a yellow for the foul...recieved a mouthful from the blue player (shocking how much kids know!) warned him about his language, then warned his captain as well who promptly told his player to 'shut it and move on' - that was followed by 'you're a f***ing blind c**t anyway' - swiftly pulled out the yellow again, nice and calm, and produced the red...

that was my first, and thus far...last (ive had a hiatus since and only done few matches here and there)

got a nice little threaten after the match whilst going to my car as well, his dad said 'i know your car now mate, your effing dead!' - unfortunatly for him, i change my car on a regular basis :p
Charlie ...........had I heard these words after a yellow card im afraid my hand would be very quickly delving into the other pocket for the straight red ............also a misconduct for the club for not controlling thier spectators ie the kids dad

Last edited by a moderator:
Attacking play going down the wing. Defender fouls the winger (cautionable foul), but as he's being hit, the winger puts in a beautiful pass to his striker for a 30+ yard breakaway (note that the striker is 2/2 on these in the game so far). I turn to follow the striker as I'm signalling for the advantage.

Suddenly, my AR (who is maybe five yards from the incident of the foul) yells my name, I turn, just in time to see the attacker who was fouled punch the defender right in the nose, a spray of blood everywhere, including on my assistant's shirt.

Blew the whistle, raced over with red card already in hand to make sure there was no retaliation, quickly checked on the defender, dismissed the attacker. Apologized to the striker for being forced to deny him the goal.

And completely forgot to caution the defender who left the field of play with the obvious injury. Oops.

Lots going on in that little passage of play Alex , I personally forgive you for forgetting the yellow lol

Was a pretty poor decision, opening day of my first league season two months ago, game had a bit of bite to it due to the actions of the Blacks players throughout. My first yellow was about 5 minutes before and there were no qualms so I was feeling confident after that and perhaps as a result wasn't thinking with enough focus. Awarded a pen to Reds and Blacks player starts shoving the lad that went down. Isolated him and sent him off for VC. Won't forget that in a hurry so I'm thankful it happened on the opening day, lesson learnt. My second red was the following Wednesday (much more clear cut: palmed the ball off the line with striker about to head it in) and have had no others since.

I can still see the incident now. Ball goes out for a throw-in very close to the halfway line. I indicate an attacking throw-in but a defending player bends over to pick up the ball. Attacking team player (I believe he was also the captain and secretary) wrestles with him for the ball before rabbit punching him in the back of the neck. I blinked for a second then ran towards both players. Sent off the offending player.

What made matters worse was that he was a qualified referee ...

What colour shirt were you wearing in reds v blacks, smair?
What colour don't Nike / Adidas do. They seem to pop up everywhere. Met a London fa guy doing game 3 of 6 on sat in black purple Adidas. I informed him of the problem and that someone might say something but he saw it as me giving a bollocking just as a L 4 I assisted for in the fa cup comes in and rips him a new hole. Needless to say he got the message.

P'S @haywain that's another for you

My first game.

Goal line DOGSO handball.

I blow and players come running over.

Red went up, just caught sight of his left hook swinging and as I lent back it just clipped my nose.

Cue his team who had been remonstrating with me now physically carried him to the changing rooms and locked him in for rest of the match.

Mentor shocked as I continued with the game. Needless to say the last 18 were a tad easier.

Sorry mod - better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like it was yesterday.

Fiery U17 game. Two players go for the same ball and end up pushing and shoving; there was a few verbals too so I made my mind up to caution them both for adopting an aggressive attitude. Had a word with both and as I turned to caution the home player, the away player muttered "w*nker". No doubt it was aimed at me so I turned back to him and out came the red card. I was shaking like a leaf.

I'd worried about the first one for years and I've got to say I was actually glad when it came, massive psychological barrier.

4 and a half years without a red card ..........I challenge this potential world record to be beaten ?

Back