A&H

Doing the right thing over doing the right thing.

matty639

Level 5 Referee
I had a match this afternoon, assessment for 6 to 5. I had two ARs one of which is a very new Ref who is only on her third line.in my pre match brief I stress them to wait and see on offsides, and early on in the game she puts a flag up for guy who is offside but walking back not interfering, another guy is running through and I whistle and give it, even though I have my doubts on it go with her. Ten minutes later another early flag for a guy I know isn't interfering and another player is running through. I shout "no play on" as I could clearly see he wasn't offside. No arguements from teams.

Second half goes on and ball is lobbed up I clearly see striker who is stood in an offside position come back and interfere with play. I look over, this time no flag. I blow as I know full well he was offside, again no arguements.

Assessor says after the game that even though I was right in law, i.e. The ones I overulled her I was right, he said I should have just gone with her as I was undermining her and us as a team. She even admitted she had been panicking due to the assessment and had a mare, but it doesn't sit right with me that even though I know the AR has got it wrong I should just crack on, even if a goal is scored as a it's better than undermining my assistant.

The Referee Store
I think that you need to be there to manage it properly, if there is no arguing then it isn't a problem overruling your AR but when teams start to argue you get into bother. If the AR is tuned into the game then she would signal once you've given the offside to make it look like she got it, if there aren't many supporters. Also did you mention anything at half time about it?

Assessor says after the game that even though I was right in law, i.e. The ones I overulled her I was right, he said I should have just gone with her as I was undermining her and us as a team. She even admitted she had been panicking due to the assessment and had a mare, but it doesn't sit right with me that even though I know the AR has got it wrong I should just crack on, even if a goal is scored as a it's better than undermining my assistant.

The kind of advice that makes you despair, imho. Some on here will shout match control, some will say cheating.......and everything in between

Going for promotion you have to decide how far you are prepared to compromise your integrity in order to reach the next level.

Sadly, there seems to be very little appetite amongst referees to challenge the status quo.

I had a very similar thing in my first 6 5 assessment .....my assistant flagged an offside from a cross ....offside player in front of goal didnt get a touch as front post defender cleared for a corner !! i went with with my lino , assessor slaughtered me !!!

My pre match talk was precise !!( Witnessed by assessor ) But from a team point of view i will not over rule my assistant !!

We will chat after the game !!!

But being Honest , i think if you are being assessed you should have a bit of experience on the line for you ?

No excuses !!;)

I certainly told him I was uncomfortable with the idea of not giving a decision that I knew was correct purely to try and protect my ARs integrity in the eyes of the players, it seems like some kind of weird reverse logic seeing as the players will just think we're all crap when we get it wrong together.

not a big trekkie fan but a bit like this scene from 'War Games' (spoiler alert) :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the assessor is wrong. If the objective is match control, then going with a obviously wrong decision will kill your match control for the players more than standing up for your AR. Teamwork requires you to take the lead and the AR are there to assist you. You shoudl not be marked down for doing this.

But being Honest , i think if you are being assessed you should have a bit of experience on the line for you ?
No excuses !!;)

You are in a lucky position! In York, you don't get AR's under the Premier Division which is a supply league. promotions 7-6, 6-5 & 5-4 are done without NAR's....

We have 8 divisions in our league and not enough officials to referee all the matches, so the clubs will not allow AR for anything not required.
So you could get to L4 without being assessed with NAR's...

Whether it is right or not is a discussion point but to get NAR's for non supply league matches means we woudl need a futher 15-20 referees on the list (and we only have 75 at present).

My Saturday league has 7 divisions and we get assistants in the Top Division , All referees take a turn once a month on the line

Sunday League has assistants on every game in all three divisions we do a Middle and a line every Sunday works pretty well , don't really think its necessary in lower divisions ?? but all the clubs agreed to it and it seems to work well also very good experience when you get a challenging line !!

Almost every level 4 I have worked with has said in his pre-match "Off sides are all yours and I will not come in...Unless you are wrong in law"

@Beezer what leagues do you referee on to get NAR on a Sunday? Is this OA? The only reason ask, is that I played in Kent for many years, never heard of it on a Sunday, sounds great though, wish I could have it on a Sunday

Only started doing it 2 seasons ago, all the teams in the league agreed with it home team pays for 1 lino away team pays the other

I personally think its a waste of teams money ?? especially in Div 2 and 3 , unless you have a game with a bit of history attached to it

Sheppey Sunday , teams from Sheppey and Sittingbourne with the odd 1 from a bit further only 3 leagues of 10 but all divisions are pretty competitive most seasons

And we have some loyal refs prepared to do a game and line every week

I spoke to referees on my level 5 who had only done a handful of lines in their career

Rather important part of the job IMO

If the teams agree to it, fine, but the players subs must be loads!!

I played for a long time OA around Gravesend way, not as far as Sheppey, although I did back in the day played kids football which took us all over Kent.

Back