A&H

Double Headers - Discipline

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
Just a quick query.

In regards to red cards in the first match of a double header, am I correct in thinking the player can start the second match as it hasn't been processed by the CFA at that point?

The Referee Store
Just a quick query.

In regards to red cards in the first match of a double header, am I correct in thinking the player can start the second match as it hasn't been processed by the CFA at that point?

Yep. At least I'm 99% sure. :confused: That's one of the problems with double-headers unfortunately. The second match directly inherits any problems/vendettas/dramas from the first one. Personally, if it were me, (especially if there were no new team sheets produced by each team for the subsequent match) I'd be tempted to tell the player that he couldn't return anyway, especially if it was for violent conduct.... ;)

Do note that it does depend on competition rules.

A couple of competitions that I officiate in here have a mandatory one game suspension, unless a request for hearing is made by the player/team (that comes with a fee/etc). Some of the others, it can be 3-4 weeks before the player misses any games.

Do note that it does depend on competition rules.

A couple of competitions that I officiate in here have a mandatory one game suspension, unless a request for hearing is made by the player/team (that comes with a fee/etc). Some of the others, it can be 3-4 weeks before the player misses any games.

In England the suspension doesn't start until 14 days after the match, so if there's a rc in the first match the player is able to take part in the second.

But if it was vc I might be having a word with someone from that players team to suggest he doesn't play as he might be targeted.

Good luck explaing that one to the League!

You may have concerns but laws are laws and rules are rules, like em or lump em.

I'm sure that two of the worst tempered matches I've been involved in were both double-headers. The first was just non-stop chipping away at my decision making, along with players leaving a boot in after a tackle - nothing awful, but every single player on the pitch seemed to be doing it by the end and even generous application of yellow cards wasn't slowing them down.

The other one is pretty much the only near 22-man mass brawl I've been involved in. Again, by the "4th half", tensions had been gradually creeping up and one late tackle crashes in. Immediately, 3 or 4 players from each team arrive to square up. And when I'd just about calmed that down, the rest of the players erupt. Apparently someone completely uninvolved in the first incident had randomly decided to spit at the nearest opponent while I was busy dealing with the first incident. And I'm not convinced that would have happened if his team hadn't already lost 3 points thanks to losing the first match.

I'll give double headers one more go if asked, but if that's as bad, I'll take a lot of persuading to take on another one.

Suspensions are not a refereeing issue so no need to be getting involved.
With all due respect, if you think having a player sent off for VC and then having him come back on 10 minutes later for the 3rd "half" isn't at least potentially problematic, then I'm stunned. Letting players come back on for the second match having been sent off in the first is a recipe for disaster and I think it's mad that this is how double headers are expected to work.

Back