A&H

Dropped Ball

I don't know untill it happens to me. We are still on old laws but thanks for sharing. This is one case when I would learn from other people's experience. Knowing this know, I would try and either be quicker while the ball is still in the area or wait a bit longer if possible to make it a fairer dropped ball.

Having said that, the attacker having the ball on the edge and getting it back on the edge isn't that unfair unless he was being closely challenged when you stopped the game.

I just went with what seemed the least controversial option at the time. Even though it essentially robbed the attacking team possession of the ball in a promising area! Was considering asking the keeper to return it to the opposition but that’s not really for me to tell them that.

I think I got lucky tbh...on another day a team may have been very unhappy about my decision!

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Ok so regardless of who’s in possession, play being stopped for an injury, for example, would always result in the defending keeper being given the dropped ball?

Yes, under the new law, any dropped ball in the area would go to the defensive keeper.

Here is something on this topic to 'ponder on'. If the referee interferering with play impacting the game can be a dropped ball, why not referee interferering with a player which impacts the game?

I imagine that for the referee getting in the way of a player, the player must bear some of the responsibility, i.e. They need to look where they're going.

Where as for a ball hitting the referee, depending on the distance etc it is reasonable to expect the referee to take, or try to take avoiding action.

Here is something on this topic to 'ponder on'. If the referee interferering with play impacting the game can be a dropped ball, why not referee interferering with a player which impacts the game?

2020-21 edition...with 4 bullets on when it “usually” applies...

Reactions: one
Back