A&H

Educating

Antman

Level 7 Referee
Greetings guys. I had an under 13 Academy fixture yesterday as AR.
When throw ins were being taken players whole feet were on the pitch and some players even standing on one leg. Obviously I flagged to alert my colleague in the middle.
After 5 of these I started instructing players 'behind the line buddy' and 'both feet on the ground please' much to some of the parents laughter and even criticism that it's not my place to instruct.
I felt it was part of my duty to educate the laws of the game but I would really welcome any feedback if I actually should of done this. Many thanks

The Referee Store
It really isn't any part of your duty but if adds to the betterment of overall experience of everyone involved, then why not. As an AR I would make sure it is fine by the CR which in your case it sounds like all was good.

5 foul throws? I think a lot of ARs wont flag for 5 foul throws in their career

A good shout from referee of " guys tidy up those throws" might have helped

Big thing for me aswell is credibilty and did your actions enhance the match control, yes a foul throw is a foul throw but , overall, the game as a whole, did if need six foul throw awards by an AR? What on earth was the ref watching that you had to keep flagging? Anyways, if it benefitted the game for players and officials then am sure the actions were justified..

5 foul throws? I think a lot of ARs wont flag for 5 foul throws in their career

A good shout from referee of " guys tidy up those throws" might have helped

Big thing for me aswell is credibilty and did your actions enhance the match control, yes a foul throw is a foul throw but , overall, the game as a whole, did if need six foul throw awards by an AR? What on earth was the ref watching that you had to keep flagging? Anyways, if it benefitted the game for players and officials then am sure the actions were justified..
As its says in the OP they were infringements relatedd to placement of the feet which almost always falls within the ARs remit.
Its also under13s so could have quite easily been in excess of 5 foul throws, I find juniour games to be littered with them.

Think a sensible approach is required at that age. Stop game. Explain why it was a foul throw. Allow them to try again. Further foul throws by the player punished as per law.

It was just getting a little tiresome watching these infringements. Technically as expected for a Cat One Academy the football was excellent but the basics of being able to take a simple throw in was extremey worrying.
I thought that perhaps I was helping in players development and also setting a standard for myself. Thanks for all your input guys. Every game is a learning opportunity for myself too.

How about going forward, be proactive.
So, ball is out of play, blue 3 has ball in hand. A loud clear shout of
"Blue 3 please watch your feet dont cross the line" or whatever is apt
You might even find at this point the coach also goes "Jimmy, careful with your feet"

The kid now has your instructions and his coaches in his head BEFORE he steps up to take the throw

Proactive

Prevent the infringment before it happens.

Even go further, put yourself between the thrower and the line before the throw and say " last throw you were on the park, be careful please"

Then when the throw is good say " much bette, thanks"

Proactive, not reactive

Good call Ciley. I was guiding before they took the throw ins. I have noticed though that coaches don't seem too bothered about their players taking a direct throw in.
I really appreciate your input.

If the coaches dont seem bothered, then thats the ideal time to put the educating hat on, put the onus right onto them, first chance I got I would be saying to coach, look, am going to penalise every foul throw, work with me here, help your guys through the game.

In my corner of the world I see a lot of youth teams that train 3-4-5 times a week unable to take correct throws consistently. If it's an ability thing, fair enough. But if it's because coaches have stopped coaching throw in technique ( because of last week's ref on the telly) then as an AR you should act... But act before the game... Ask your ref if she/he wants to act on throws... Be proactive with the players... And if you are the ref, tell the coaches before the game!

Coaches are really missing a trick by not training throw ins, as they are a vital part of the game.
Incorrect throws drive me nuts, so for all but the highest levels that I ref (it would be disrespectful or tactless with them) I tell the coaches/captains befor the game to do them right or they are buying the beers/Pokemon cards/whatever for every one I whistle!

TBH has worked for me in the middle. (With different refs though I am now used to disappointment in this. Their instructions/diagonal... Couple of times last season I found myself sheepishly asking at half time if a goal after a throw should have stood...)

If the throw looks a bit messy then I agree that as an assistant you can let it go. Not sure the same can be said though if the player is clearly stood on the pitch, that's black and white and is much harder to turn a blind eye to. I remember when Shaun Wright Phillips got away with this and the refereeing world went into meltdown ....

2nh0uac.jpg

mini soccer when wrong coach,let them have a second go if it goes well fine if not 7 aside is meant to be fun. 9 vs 9 foul throw call whats wrong allow retake if it is still wrong award the throw in to the other team. But I would always check with both coaches first in case 1 coach has been working on throw ins. 11 vs 11 no second chance.

I remember a sunday game when I reversed a throw twice..... Some of these idiots couldn't tie there own laces!!

Back