A&H

End of Days

Brian Hamilton

RefChat Addict
Observer/Tutor
Last time I'll referee on a Sunday. The next time I wear kit on a Sunday, I'm 4th official for a County Final.

All relaxed before the game. Refereed both teams many times and during the equipment check I assured them I hadn't changed, that they shouldn't offer dissent as it will only cost them money. All appeared to agree.

90 minutes later, 3 off from the same team (S5, S6 and S7). Of those dismissed, 2 had already been cautioned for dissent and another had also received a caution for dissent. For the 1st dismissal, the player wouldn't leave, then walked across the width of the field, in total delayed the restart by more than 3 minutes. 2nd dismissal, the player was aggressive towards me, restrained by team mates and then threw his shirt at me which struck me on the arm.

At the 3rd dismissal I felt like walking off.

I have two more games assigned to me, with a possible third to be added, but to be honest, if I never blew a whistle again it might just be too soon.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I think I needed this morning to remind me of just how bad it can be. I've related tales recently of enjoyable games where the clubs thought I did really well but this convinced me I've made the right decision. The goalkeeper of the team of 8 came to me at the end and shook my hand and said I'd done really well. It was his first game in 16 months after injury and he couldn't believe how badly his team behaved.

My son's team ended up having to be refereed by one of the coaches a couple of weeks ago. The coach hated it, the lads hated it ("didn't get any decisions right, ignored the lino's, blah, blah...). The league his team are in are desperately short of referees, so week in, week out, coaches are having to get it completely wrong in the middle - and all the players hate it. Yet teams (players, managers, spectators) just can't seem to give the referee that element of respect that means they too can enjoy what they are doing, and be back to do it again next weekend. Something is wrong, and nobody seems to have the real balls to have a go at really fixing it.

My son's team ended up having to be refereed by one of the coaches a couple of weeks ago. The coach hated it, the lads hated it ("didn't get any decisions right, ignored the lino's, blah, blah...). The league his team are in are desperately short of referees, so week in, week out, coaches are having to get it completely wrong in the middle - and all the players hate it. Yet teams (players, managers, spectators) just can't seem to give the referee that element of respect that means they too can enjoy what they are doing, and be back to do it again next weekend. Something is wrong, and nobody seems to have the real balls to have a go at really fixing it.
People ask me why I referee, and apart from the fact it's paid exercise, this is what I say - if I turn up, at least 22 people get to play a competitive game of football with a neutral referee.

Back