A&H

Ending the match early

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee

I've time stamped this at 18:04 as the ref ends the gamer at 85mins.

Is this not a massive risk by the referee.

Only reason I mention it is I know teams often rely on Goal Difference in the lower grassroot leagues, typically you have 1 or 2 teams in the league that are unbeatable and they really need the goals from matches like this.

I was on the last game of the season last year and I remember one of the teams being 8-0 up at half time, they were telling me to stop my watch after every goal and the manager was telling me to play every second of extra time as they desperately needed 13+ goals and the team they were against were the leagues punching bag.

The Referee Store
Yes. It only takes one person to complain. I don't have issues with cutting added time short and both team don't want to play. But even that I won't tell anyone I have cut it short. Added time is in/on your hands.

Hope he accepts 90% of the fee as full pay 🤣

Was a local game that finished something like 43-0, the opposition had 9 players and some of them were over 50.

The twitter feed stopped abruptly at 82 minutes.

The team who won 43-0 lost the league by a few goals by goal difference.
Referee had calls from the FA to stop him talking to the local rag.

I've time stamped this at 18:04 as the ref ends the gamer at 85mins.

Only reason I mention it is I know teams often rely on Goal Difference in the lower grassroot leagues, typically you have 1 or 2 teams in the league that are unbeatable and they really need the goals from matches like this.

I was on the last game of the season last year and I remember one of the teams being 8-0 up at half time, they were telling me to stop my watch after every goal and the manager was telling me to play every second of extra time as they desperately needed 13+ goals and the team they were against were the leagues punching bag.
This infuriates me for the exact reason you cite. The county Women's league is regularly decided by goal difference and I am often asked by managers of the losing teams to just let the game end, as harsh as it feels, they're adults and it's not my job to stop them losing by 10.

We have a mercy rule in place in the youth league I officiate in. If it gets to an 8 goal deficit, the losing team coach can declare the result and then either end the game, or play the rest of the match as a development game. They can also continue but review after each subsequent goal.

We have a mercy rule in place in the youth league I officiate in. If it gets to an 8 goal deficit, the losing team coach can declare the result and then either end the game, or play the rest of the match as a development game. They can also continue but review after each subsequent goal.
what a good idea.

Why don't the winning team just play with less players (much more sporting) ?

Why don't the winning team just play with less players (much more sporting) ?

'If we score again then one of us is going to get taken off because we'll have to lose a player' - not a great mentality for a team to have to have.

'If we score again then one of us is going to get taken off because we'll have to lose a player' - not a great mentality for a team to have to have.
You could have the losing team bring on another player to make it 10v9 or 12v11 etc. - providing they had someone available

I remember a tournament once where my son's U8 A-league team were up against a newly formed U8 girls team who had never played in a tournament before. They were woefully mismatched, but we couldn't tell 7 year olds to not score, so the coaches agreed they could bring on more players as the goals started racking up... They eventually had 9 or 10 against 3 of our boys and they still couldn't get near the ball, but to be fair to them they never gave up trying.

I used to coach in a recreational youth league that had a mercy rule similar to this. I can assure you that kids at the ages we're talking about here would never have that mentality. They're just not that analytical. Most of them wouldn't even be aware of why players were being taken off. Or if they did, they would just accept it as a normal part of the way the game was conducted, since they didn't know any different.

Not sure if this is used across the country but in the mini-soccer ages in my league, at 4 goals the losing team can do a 'power play' and bring on an extra player. They can have a second at 6.

Back