A&H

ENG vs USA Matchday 6 - Valenzuela (VEN)

george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #20
England vs USA
Friday, 25 November 2022
22:00 local time (19:00 GMT)
Al-Khor

Referee: Jesus Valenzuela (VEN)

Assistant Referee 1: Jorge Urrego (VEN)
Assistant Referee 2: Tulio Moreno (VEN)
Fourth Official: Yoshimi Yamashita (JPN)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Nueza Back (BRA)
Video Assistant Referee: Juan Soto (VEN)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Nicolas Gallo (COL)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Diego Bonfa ARG)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Julio Bascunan (CHI)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Ezequiel Braislovsky (ARG)

The Referee Store
I'm enjoying him pulling back the throw ins. And not feeling he has to tell players to part at corners. A couple of bug bears of mine.

And not feeling he has to tell players to part at corners
Something which has been overdone one too many times in this tournament, as multiple people have pointed out, players who haven't been near anyone else are getting warned by the ref at times

Can't believe he WENT IN at the first corner... obviously Collina has said LADS, GO IN! I mean WTF!

Did he miss that minor US handball and have to be told by the 4th?

Pretty obvious that Valenzuela had a strategy of managing his way through that first half. I had three pretty clear cautions (2 England tactical fouls, one on the US for McKennie’s forearm catching Mount in the face) and a couple of other possible cautions both ways. It worked as things didn’t get too heated, but we’ll see how long that strategy can last.

Edit-Add another US caution for a Dest tactical foul. Forgot that one.

i was about to write the same. No contact to the face at all. Total dive. (I don't think Mount will be on for long, even with the only shot on target,)
I'd have him off at half time. Anonymous. Criminal with the players we have on the bench

Well, England fans, you now understand how a CONCACAF match feels. This game was refereed like a CONCACAF match. Valenzuela got through it, but it always seemed like he was a call from letting it slip away. It was probably good for him that there are so many relationships between the teams.

He walked a tightrope without a net and lived to tell the tale.

Normal service resumed where England is concerned, epically underwhelming! :wall:

Only 1 minute added on in the first half and only 4 in the 2nd. New directive or someone forgot to keep track as you could add a minute for every England goalkick!

Another minute for the referee unnecessarily warning Maguire about being offside at a free kick in added time! Collina mate, you’ve got that directive wrong. Minimum interference maximum benefit remember!

Back