A&H

England v Denmark

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Thoughts on Maguires 2nd yellow?
Thought it was harsh but his first wasn't nice and was lucky with that.
And the penalty? If he is giving that (obviously he did) then he is blowing every 5 seconds.

The Referee Store
And the penalty? If he is giving that (obviously he did) then he is blowing every 5 seconds.

Disagree. First one a yellow. A nailed on yellow, happy days. Second one he could have seen for either the beak that would’ve been on or for the follow through on the ankle. And the penalty (appreciate I’m in the minority here) but Walker clearly catches his opponent well after the ball has gone. Nothing to fault the referee for on the KMIs for me.

Disagree. First one a yellow. A nailed on yellow, happy days. Second one he could have seen for either the beak that would’ve been on or for the follow through on the ankle. And the penalty (appreciate I’m in the minority here) but Walker clearly catches his opponent well after the ball has gone. Nothing to fault the referee for on the KMIs for me.
I meant he was lucky it was just a yellow the first one.

Yellow card every day of the week

Maguire can have no complaints.
England are better without him anyway.

I had a feeling after all the celebratory smugness that followed the win over a below par Belgium, that we'd get brought back down to earth by the Danes.

So far that's proved to be the case ...

Maguire can have no complaints.
England are better without him anyway.

I had a feeling after all the celebratory smugness that followed the win over a below par Belgium, that we'd get brought back down to earth by the Danes.

So far that's proved to be the case ...
Are you suggesting England aren’t the world-beating force some felt we were? 😜

OK, whether we agree on Maguires 2nd yellow or not, how was the Danish number 20 not booked for his foul on Kane in similar position just before Phillips caution?

OK, whether we agree on Maguires 2nd yellow or not, how was the Danish number 20 not booked for his foul on Kane in similar position just before Phillips caution?
Yellow would’ve been justified and helped match control imo. Then the yellow on Phillips was incredibly harsh

Both Maguire’s yellows were justified and he deserved them both. However there is no way in the world that is a penalty. But, most refs, including ones on here, have done it at some point and if he thought it was a penalty, then that’s his decision, he’s just doing his job.

Last edited:
Yellow would’ve been justified and helped match control imo. Then the yellow on Phillips was incredibly harsh
I’m not even convinced the ref saw that as he was looking at Kane. It’s like he saw Phillips stood next to a player throwing himself to ground and just threw a card up.

Overal I’ve got to say, I wasn’t impressed with that refereeing performance

Maguire, no issues whatsoever
PK, ref has imagined something
The ref was typical Continental. Presumably overrated, fussy, movement was excessive and bizarre at times (ticking boxes that didn't need ticking). A bit one sided officiating, it happens, but he lost credibility/respect and ill-discipline followed
These games mean very little anyway, unusual that I watched most of it

England weren't helped tonight by a strange refereeing performance frustrating them but for as long as Southgate holds the reins, we'll struggle.
Practically every time that England have come up against better-than-mediocre opposition during his tenure - they've lost.

Proof is in the pudding...

No issue at all with either one of Maguire's cautions. The penalty was definitely a bit soft. Had VAR been in use, it would have been interesting to see if that would have been recommended for an on-field review. My guess is no (probably not a clear and obvious error), but nothing surprises me with VAR anymore.

As an Englishman, I was disappointed with the decision.
What made it worse and made it look soft was the fact that the ball had already bounced away and the Dane was in the process of falling to the floor when Walker's attempted clearance connected with him.
Unfortunately, as per the LOTG, it was inside the penalty area, it was a challenge for the ball and Walker clearly kicked him. The ref's decision was spot on.

My original thought was “does he think it’s a push?” and was somewhat sympathetic. We’ve all had moments where we’re convinced something untoward has gone on. On a reverse angle I see the kick such as it is. There’s also a delay in giving it - a moment of doubt perhaps, a “did he kick him?” and then the reaction of the attacking player near him confirms it in his mind.

50/50 call for me. Not a shocker, not horrendous, not biased (because NONE of us are). Will he have better days? Absolutely.

As for Reese James, unforgivable. Three game ban, don’t expect to be back in the squad after it’s up.

Back