A&H

England v République de Colombie

Status
Not open for further replies.
A proper head butt is a red,
A use of the head, motion of headbutt, until, 5? year ago, was a red. Then, it changed to the use of the head, even when making contact, to be deemed a yellow unless the force used was, quote. "brutal". We had the word "brutality" drummed into us, and incidents like tonight, do not fall into the brutality catergory. That was certainly the teaching and directives that we received. The thing we left the meetings with was, use of the head, aggression, or brutal. As ever, I accept this might not be the teaching other folk received in other countries. Given what happened with the referee tonight, however they got there, it appears they also had the same education

So a Glasgow kiss is a red anything else is a yellow.

The Referee Store
That it didn't get a VAR is what concerns me, as that validates the decision.

I'm just cautious here, because I'm anticipating someone doing a proper headbutt on a Saturday and asking how come it's a red and not a yellow, cos that's what happened in the World Cup.

I've given cautions for 'rutting' when players have their handbags out, but that's different from this in my view, this is a headbutt/attempt.
As long as it's a proper headbutt: Oh, Zidane!

I doubt Escobar is too concerned......a better name would have been that Aspirlla who played for Newcastle?

1994 there captain got a bullet for an OG.

Let’s hope Bacca makes it home alive.

Two days to recharge the battery’s thank god.

That took it out of me emotionally.

Sheff send your Swedish pal a little war cry for us, or a video of land of hope & glory.

As ever, I accept this might not be the teaching other folk received in other countries. Given what happened with the referee tonight, however they got there, it appears they also had the same education

Never got that memo! But five years ago I was out of refereeing anyway. :(

On my Geiger counter Barrios must of fouled 4-5 times after his card, what else did he have to do to get sent off!!!

Could have made a strong case for around another 5 second yellows, It went beyond being within the remit of a human being trying to control that Sheff, we had the luxury of instant replay and slow mo.

Mr Geiger had one look one angle & 5-10 screaming players in his face every 2mins. I’ll let him have that one, he’s welcome in my local after that performance.

He's promised a 0-0 slug fest!! No silly penalties at corners from Dem Swedes!!!

Playing the swedes after that will be like playing the local bell ringing society in a charity match.

There is not a single player on paper from Sweden that gets in our starting XI.

But of course we won’t do it the easy way.

Late to the party. Firstly congrats to all English supporters :)

On the head to chin incident. The decision was consistent with previous yellow cards, Ronaldo elbow to the chin, Neymar stepped on ankle and I think there was another elbow to face but can’t remember who. They have been very reluctant to give reds for minor VC incidents. In fact the only straight red of any kind in the tournament has been two very clear DOGSOs. I am sure this is a result of directives from above.

The conversation with VAR I imagine would have been Geiger: “Was it a red card?”, VAR: ”Not in my opinion” and Geiger decides not to review and go for yellow on either what he had seen or AR/4th advice. In such case no protocol was breached. Either way from my observations, they have cared about following protocol a lot less than getting the final decision right. And the code for the yellow would be USB. I don’t imagine FIFA having subcategories for USB. I imagine AA is an English/British thing only.

1530676768954.png

On the overall referee performance, I think he did well in a very difficult match. Especially with the use of cards which was consistent with the rest of the tournament. He could have ended up with well over a dozen yellows in that game.

Last edited:
Late to the party. Firstly congrats to all English supporters :)

On the head to chin incident. The decision was consistent with previous yellow cards, Ronaldo elbow to the chin, Neymar stepped on ankle and I think there was another elbow to face but can’t remember who. They have been very reluctant to give reds for minor VC incidents. In fact the only straight red of any kind in the tournament has been two very clear DOGSOs. I am sure this is a result of directives from above.

The conversation with VAR I imagine would have been Geiger: “Was it a red card?”, VAR: ”Not in my opinion” and Geiger decides not to review and go for yellow on either what he had seen or AR/4th advice. In such case no protocol was breached. Either way from my observations, they have cared about following protocol a lot less than getting the final decision right. And the code for the yellow would be USB. I don’t imagine FIFA having subcategories for USB. I imagine AA is an English/British thing only.

View attachment 2183

On the overall referee performance, I think he did well in a very difficult match. Especially with the use of cards which was consistent with the rest of the tournament. He could have ended up with well over a dozen yellows in that game.
I keep reading that third paragraph. It seems to directly contradict the second paragraph. Does the third para mean “when a direct red card is actually given” rather than potential?

Whichever, we’ve heard the VARs. There’s no way there is not any communication with the referee... they are shouting opinions down the mics... we’ve heard it in the press conf...?

I keep reading that third paragraph. It seems to directly contradict the second paragraph. Does the third para mean “when a direct red card is actually given” rather than potential?

Whichever, we’ve heard the VARs. There’s no way there is not any communication with the referee... they are shouting opinions down the mics... we’ve heard it in the press conf...?
If you mean "getting the decision right" in the third paragraph then if you think of it in a way that the second paragraph explains why in their eye a red card was not the right decision. I don't really see a contradiction. Maybe you can explain further.

I agree there was communication. You could even see him talking on the mic. I was pointing out that
  1. It is possible that the final outcome was reached without breaching VAR protocol
  2. Even if protocol was breached, as long as they think they have the correct final outcome, they wouldn't care about breach of protocol. A good chunk of VAR reviews so far has been based on difference of opinions rather than "clear and obvious error". That is a breach of protocol and I don't remember "clear and obvious error" being mentioned in the referee briefing at all.
Edit: Reading your post again i think your are talking about the paragraphs from the protocol (and not my paragraphs).
Paragraph 2 is talking about no actions after a 'check'. Paragraph 3 allows a yellow card to be given if it is 'reviewed'. The two are different. Every KMI (4 types) is 'checked' by VAR. A 'review' is the next step in the process after a check and can only be initiated by the referee with a TV signal.

This incident was checked. There was no TV signal so one can assume it was not reviewed but it is possible it was reviewed without a signal. It is not necessary for a referee to go to the on field screen for a review to take place.

Last edited:
Great comments guys!! My question is what the hell were the assistant linesmen doing when the ref was surrounded by the players. This is serious intimidation of the ref and it would have helped if the ARs stepped in to show support.

Great comments guys!! My question is what the hell were the assistant linesmen doing when the ref was surrounded by the players. This is serious intimidation of the ref and it would have helped if the ARs stepped in to show support.
Assistant referees*, and personally I wouldn't like my assistants getting involved if there ain't mass confrontation, or the situation isn't close to them.

Assistant referees*, and personally I wouldn't like my assistants getting involved if there ain't mass confrontation, or the situation isn't close to them.

Agree, I dont approve of 'back up" from my ARs there, but I could understand the thinking behind it, and it might work for somebody else.

Personally I think Colombia's attitude hindered Englands performance. Southgate has tried to make England into a high tempo possession based side but Colombia's aggression and constant stop start prevented that. England did the correct thing (the majoirty of the time) and let Colombia wind themselves up

Goals aside, how good was Harry Kane? He's the natural leader England have been crying out for. His attitude is exceptional and he leads by example. Every corner he's being manhandled but he never retaliates and get's in the referees face like most would. He simply waits and expects the referee to do his job which he did! He was winning everything in the air, holding the ball up well, dropping into midfield and battled to the end.

Before the tournament I was concerned about this side on paper but the togetherness, passion and fight these lads are showing is something I've not seen in an England shirt in a long time, if ever! It finally looks like we've got a group of players who care more about their country than their paycheck!

Just think .... this could have been Allardyce!

The Venebles team was the best to watch, that win v Holland in 96 was one of the best performances I have ever seen but this team is probably the best drilled, they look confident whilst aware of their limitations, they certainly have the team ethic and I think they taking their lead from Southgate, quitely going around their business, workmanlike and diligent, I dont expect them to be caught up in the growing expectation now, and if they remain mentally where they have been so far, then the unthinkable might actually happen. Am guessing Alan Russell on the coaching team is the key!

The Venebles team was the best to watch, that win v Holland in 96 was one of the best performances I have ever seen but this team is probably the best drilled, they look confident whilst aware of their limitations, they certainly have the team ethic and I think they taking their lead from Southgate, quitely going around their business, workmanlike and diligent, I dont expect them to be caught up in the growing expectation now, and if they remain mentally where they have been so far, then the unthinkable might actually happen. Am guessing Alan Russell on the coaching team is the key!
A Great Scot helping the Auld Enemy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back