A&H

English Grassroots Return

Well 2m is changing to '1M+' from Saturday, so we might well have to put up with the cramped changing rooms. Not sure if that 1m+ applies to only outside though - given up on the news since about week 2 of pandemic - so if I've got that wrong I apologise!
It is changing to 1m+ where 2m isn't possible. That's what I was saying. Some changing rooms don't allow for 1m+. They won't be suitable.

The Referee Store
It is changing to 1m+ where 2m isn't possible. That's what I was saying. Some changing rooms don't allow for 1m+. They won't be suitable.

Know what you mean James, but I expect we would be expected to work round it, if we're not happy - ie get changed separately - as we do now where there are not 2 changing rooms and a mix of male/female officials.

I don't think most semi-pro clubs would be able to survive playing with any kind of social distancing. Certainly not 2m, but even 1m would be a big problem. The changing room issue can potentially be worked around by everyone turning up changed, but they need money through the gate and money behind the bar if they are to be able to pay the players. If you take a stand that normally holds 100 people they'd be lucky to get 25 in that even with 1m social distancing, and would people still go if they were exposed to the elements? Realistically you would find that most available seats would be taken up by home and away directors, league officials, observers, etc.

And for the bar takings they would need an app to let people order and buy, enough bar staff to be able to do table service, and at many clubs if people can't stand and social distancing is in place you'd be lucky to get more than 5 people in there.

I don't think most semi-pro clubs would be able to survive playing with any kind of social distancing. Certainly not 2m, but even 1m would be a big problem. The changing room issue can potentially be worked around by everyone turning up changed, but they need money through the gate and money behind the bar if they are to be able to pay the players. If you take a stand that normally holds 100 people they'd be lucky to get 25 in that even with 1m social distancing, and would people still go if they were exposed to the elements? Realistically you would find that most available seats would be taken up by home and away directors, league officials, observers, etc.

And for the bar takings they would need an app to let people order and buy, enough bar staff to be able to do table service, and at many clubs if people can't stand and social distancing is in place you'd be lucky to get more than 5 people in there.
what's your guess as to when we'll see it return?

what's your guess as to when we'll see it return?

It is just a guess, but grass roots as early as September, semi-pro not while ever social distancing remains in place. They need to be able to get back to at least 70-80% of their previous attendances to stand a chance of surviving.

The professional game will be interesting, EPL and possibly Championship teams might be able to survive without crowds because of TV revenue. The same definitely can't be said of the other EFL and National League teams, they just can't operate without crowd revenues

It is just a guess, but grass roots as early as September, semi-pro not while ever social distancing remains in place. They need to be able to get back to at least 70-80% of their previous attendances to stand a chance of surviving.

The professional game will be interesting, EPL and possibly Championship teams might be able to survive without crowds because of TV revenue. The same definitely can't be said of the other EFL and National League teams, they just can't operate without crowd revenues
I think players and clubs are going to have to lower their expectations.. I think it will come back sooner if the participants want it.. And if that means not getting paid as much then so be it, might take a while for that to be realised but eventually will have to happen.

I think players and clubs are going to have to lower their expectations.. I think it will come back sooner if the participants want it.. And if that means not getting paid as much then so be it, might take a while for that to be realised but eventually will have to happen.

If the players agree to forgo wages, or take a cut, then it might work. Whether it will happen is a different question though, after all lots of multi-millionaire professionals, who let's face it don't really need the money, have refused to take pay cuts. Will semi-pro players who rely on the money to pay bills be willing / able cuts, only time will tell.

If the players agree to forgo wages, or take a cut, then it might work. Whether it will happen is a different question though, after all lots of multi-millionaire professionals, who let's face it don't really need the money, have refused to take pay cuts. Will semi-pro players who rely on the money to pay bills be willing / able cuts, only time will tell.
Yes, I thought about this but semi pros are normly paid per game and not tied down to lengthy contracts so it will be easy for clubs to not take players on, and then the going rate for players goes down.
They of course will go where the most money is available, they can get, but the alternative is no play and no pay at all. Playing for less money is the lesser of 2 evils.
Of course I am sure this is different at national league maybe even step 3. But I think step 4 and below ought to cut their cloth accordingly, players included. Better for all involved, surely.

I wouldn’t rule it out - many teams in the East of Scotland league up here (tier 6&7) have had their players agree to no wages for the time being.

Yes, however it's still classed as a non contact sport, which is the rationale behind it.

The deemed risk of transmitting via the ball is seen as low

Boris and the CMO and CSO were asked about this at today's briefing. The reply was that they are looking at cricket and will come back with an update in the next few days, Chris Whitty's concern was more around drinking tea and beers in the pavilion after the game than any kind of contact during it. He did make a point though of saying that cricket is a non-contact sport and therefore is different to other sports, so pretty clear it will return before grass roots football.

Apparently the Isthmian League (Step 3 and 4) hopes to be back in October. They have said it's not viable for clubs to play behind closed doors and have apparently advised clubs to structure player contracts accordingly in case early round FA comps have to be played behind locked doors.141EF0DA-4985-4EAE-A283-6FB246B29306.jpeg

SAFA also put out a statement today saying there probably wont be any league games until October

Back