A&H

Open Age False names

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
I’ve done 6 games this year, had bookings in 4 of them, and in 3 it’s been clear I’ve been given a false name.

It’s absolutely endemic in Sunday league and it feels like there is nothing I can do beyond reporting it to the league.

today booked a player for C5 and he gives me the name “Ed”, got surname too but privacy etc, but then I notice he’s being called “Matty” the rest of the game.

when challenged he says it’s a nickname because they have another Ed.

the fine goes in anyway, the name is on WGS, but it feels so wrong every time it happens

The Referee Store
All you can surely do is submit your misconduct report on the names given.

Unless of course the ref is one who writes all the names in book prematch. That opens a whole new can of worms

Not going over old ground ( as it seems its legally binding under punishment of being burnt to stake not to in some places) but i know i benefit from simply noting numbers on queries like this, number 6, reckless
If in times to come it transpires the caution gets applied to the incorrect person, thats the teams fault for having the wrong name next to the wrong number.

Unfortunately this is something that has and always will be a problem in grassroots football.

As a referee all we can do is take the name provided to us and if it matches up with that on the team sheet, then that’s the name we send in on the report.

I wouldn’t start worrying too much as nearly every team will do it at some point. Our job is to referee the game we have in front of us. It’ll be down to the league to sort out any unauthorised players and punish accordingly if they’re caught.

All you can surely do is submit your misconduct report on the names given.

Unless of course the ref is one who writes all the names in book prematch. That opens a whole new can of worms

Not going over old ground ( as it seems its legally binding under punishment of being burnt to stake not to in some places) but i know i benefit from simply noting numbers on queries like this, number 6, reckless
If in times to come it transpires the caution gets applied to the incorrect person, thats the teams fault for having the wrong name next to the wrong number.
I long for the day my league implements team sheets!

I long for the day my league implements team sheets!

not being obtuse, as I cant recalle ever doing an official game without a team sheet, so, how subs work then, given the lotg say only named subs ...etc?

does someone inform you prematch of who the subs are?

not being obtuse, as I cant recalle ever doing an official game without a team sheet, so, how subs work then, given the lotg say only named subs ...etc?

does someone inform you prematch of who the subs are?
Not obtuse at all! We get the subs names at the start but that’s it. Otherwise it’s roll on roll off. I’m considering asking teams to send them to me on the day before the game since quite a few tweet them out anyway.

Not obtuse at all! We get the subs names at the start but that’s it. Otherwise it’s roll on roll off. I’m considering asking teams to send them to me on the day before the game since quite a few tweet them out anyway.

Clearly not a dig at you, but the concept of knowing the names and numbers of, 5,7 ? folk at the side of the pitch, but not the 11 on it, at face value, is bizarre

Clearly not a dig at you, but the concept of knowing the names and numbers of, 5,7 ? folk at the side of the pitch, but not the 11 on it, at face value, is bizarre
No I completely agree. It’s literally 5 subs maximum too, I’d much prefer team sheets sent on the morning of games. I think at this level where you have late arrivals or unsure of numbers until the morning then the league haven’t bothered but they should imo.

The adult league I played in here in the U.S. had laminated player passes with pix. Not very expensive and makes it easy: No pass, no play. If a player is sent off, the ref keeps the pass and sends it to the league secretary, and the team manager had to pick it up from the office once the suspension was served. (I believe we also turned in a roster with player numbers, and the refs would spot check a few numbers when they collected passes.)

The adult league I played in here in the U.S. had laminated player passes with pix. Not very expensive and makes it easy: No pass, no play. If a player is sent off, the ref keeps the pass and sends it to the league secretary, and the team manager had to pick it up from the office once the suspension was served. (I believe we also turned in a roster with player numbers, and the refs would spot check a few numbers when they collected passes.)

That's done at kids football in some places here in England but would never happen in adult football. Culture thing

Many leagues in England do not have team sheets. The names the referee must have before kick off are those of the substitutes (as per LOTG) but not essential to have the names of the starting eleven. In the absence of team sheets the referee asks the club official for the names of the substitutes.

Many leagues in England do not have team sheets. The names the referee must have before kick off are those of the substitutes (as per LOTG) but not essential to have the names of the starting eleven. In the absence of team sheets the referee asks the club official for the names of the substitutes.
Huge pain for things like this though. And having to take names extends stoppages when I could just take a number.

Even with teamsheets it is always best to double check who the subs are at lower levels. On many occasions I've been given teamsheets where those listed as subs are starting and vice versa. And that of course technically means that one of those listed as starting but are actually subs can't come on as they aren't named as a sub.

Huge pain for things like this though. And having to take names extends stoppages when I could just take a number.
You are required to take the name in England (except at top level) and doing so is often useful in match control terms - 20/30 seconds for a word with the offender, calm them down, being seen to manage the situation.

Both of my youth leagues ditched team sheets when they returned following the first lockdown, so I have to rely on the name that's given to me by the player. Cautioned "Michael Mouse" last season - his coach insisted that it was his real name, so I had no choice but to report and leave the FA to deal with it.

Both of my youth leagues ditched team sheets when they returned following the first lockdown, so I have to rely on the name that's given to me by the player. Cautioned "Michael Mouse" last season - his coach insisted that it was his real name, so I had no choice but to report and leave the FA to deal with it.
Quite right to do so - the club have to submit the correct name if Michael Mouse is not a registered player and the player faces an extra charge.

You are required to take the name in England (except at top level) and doing so is often useful in match control terms - 20/30 seconds for a word with the offender, calm them down, being seen to manage the situation.
I mean - I know this is the accepted wisdom, but I so rarely find it actually works this way.

A cautioned player will either happily accept the caution or they won't. A player who accepts it doesn't need the slow-down, and particularly if it's for some form of cynical SPA (which are most commonly when a player accepts it with a smile), you're only going to wind the other team up taking ages over a caution. And a player who isn't happy to accept the caution will only get more wound up at being asked to spell his name, being made to stand there while you explain the caution, then when he starts to walk away and you have to whistle him back...

Write-on cards where you only need to note a shirt number let you do it either way in my experience. You can flash the card quickly and then note the details after, or you can pull the card out, be clear that it is a caution but still chat to the player for a moment or two as you write the details down before showing the card if you want to. Taking names means you have to do it the slow way, which isn't always the best way.

I mean - I know this is the accepted wisdom, but I so rarely find it actually works this way.

A cautioned player will either happily accept the caution or they won't. A player who accepts it doesn't need the slow-down, and particularly if it's for some form of cynical SPA (which are most commonly when a player accepts it with a smile), you're only going to wind the other team up taking ages over a caution. And a player who isn't happy to accept the caution will only get more wound up at being asked to spell his name, being made to stand there while you explain the caution, then when he starts to walk away and you have to whistle him back...

Write-on cards where you only need to note a shirt number let you do it either way in my experience. You can flash the card quickly and then note the details after, or you can pull the card out, be clear that it is a caution but still chat to the player for a moment or two as you write the details down before showing the card if you want to. Taking names means you have to do it the slow way, which isn't always the best way.
This is it. It’s cold at the moment and I have a disability which hampers my fine motor skills. So taking a name with frozen hands (even with gloves) and my condition takes up to a minute!

Back