A&H

First assessment in the bag...

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Well just had my first assessment for 7-6 and it wasn't a stellar performance on my part.

The home team just complained about everything. The the away team all thought I had a good game. (Bet you can guess who won).

In terms of my performance I think I did ok, positioning wasn't great but not terrible, got in good positions to make decisions. Until the 85 minute when the away team scored and home team were all screaming for handball which I didn't see and I had an unobstructed view, although I could have been a bit closer in hindsight.

After the match the assessor didn't rip me to shreds, said I could get closer to where the ball is going to land on goal kicks etc, for injuries I need to watch the players more he also said I need to use my assistants more. But I did lose control in the last 5 minutes (following the alleged hand ball) and should have dealt with the dissent. But I will wait for the assessment to turn up and then work on improving the points raised.

But the home side will be going onto my list of teams who gob off and try and intimidate the ref to either give decisions their way or to let them get away with trying to kick the other team off the pitch.

Still onwards and upwards

The Referee Store
Worst case scenario it's Below Standard. That's recoverable. From what you wrote it's definitely not Well Below Standard, although I have a suspicion it could be Standard Expected.

I'm a bit of a pessimist, I came off my 3rd 6-5 assessment thinking in my head "Borderline Below Standard/Standard Expected". Turned out to be an Above Standard assessment.

Yeah, despite what the home team claimed I didn't have a shocker or ruin the match.

I should have recognised what they were going to be like when their coach apologised to me for the guys gobbing off when I asked them to take off undershirts/thermal vests which weren't the right colour, and also when I made one of their players change his socks as they clashed with the away sides socks, the rest of the team were wearing orange but he was wearing black.

They also knew I was being assessed which I think egged them on.

I'm annoyed at myself for not dealing with it, but it's done so there's no point crying over spilt milk.

The assessor didn't rip me a new one, a bit of advice on positioning, dealing with injuries and subs not putting on a jumper/bib, he did mention the penalty I awarded and the fact I didn't issue a caution, but more of a reminder to consider whether a foul could have broken up a promising attack etc (it didn't). But the dissent was the killer, he did say I had good control of the game up until the 85th minute.

After having the chance to sit down and have a think, I'm expecting a below the standard expected, but I will wait to see what the actual assessment says when I get it.

The assessor isn't there to rip you a new one regardless of how poor your performance was....we are there to support and develop.

Apologies, obviously I know the assessor isn't going to stand there and tell me I'm the worst/best ref in the world, what I meant is that he certainly didn't raise any major development points after the game, aside from the dissent.

However, I will wait for the assessment to turn up before making a decision either way about wat the assessor thought of my performance.

Apologies, obviously I know the assessor isn't going to stand there and tell me I'm the worst/best ref in the world, what I meant is that he certainly didn't raise any major development points after the game, aside from the dissent.

The dissent is definitely something that needs to be cracked down upon as I believe it falls under Match Control which is a key element of your assessment. As your first 7-6, it seems like an ok one. Ensure you take on board everything the report says. I'd then read it before your next game and after, reflect on what you fixed and what you did not fix. Then attempt to fix what you did not the next game and maintain what you fixed in the other game.

As a fello 7-6 candidate, what exactly is the criteria to gain promotion from these assessments?

As a fello 7-6 candidate, what exactly is the criteria to gain promotion from these assessments?
You'll probably struggle for a straight answer to that as with the assessment changes I've struggled to get one for my 6-5 promotion.

I've had very credible people both say to average Standard Expected and to say average Above Standard.

I don't think it's as black and white as when an assessment score was given. A Standard Expected assessment on a match marked down as the highest difficulty will probably be worth more to your promotion application than an Above Standard on a standard match. They can also look into things such as if a certain aspect was below standard on all of your assessments. I'm told that they like to see improvement assessment on assessment and that the same development points don't crop up.

For this marking season, Standard Expected refers to the level you are applying for....below standard would mean you are operating at the level you currently hold.....

For this marking season, Standard Expected refers to the level you are applying for....below standard would mean you are operating at the level you currently hold.....

I had been under the impression that standard expected was the level you're currently at, good to know I was wrong.

Hopefully I don't get well below the standard expected as I'd like to think I'd improved even little bit since I did my course

So what's the requirement across the 3 assessments?

And would an absolve standard balance out a below standard?

The below is pretty much what was said to me during the 15/16 marking season although due to the new assessments that came in for 15/16 I got a massively mixed response. I got a standard expected on a hard game and two above standards so it wasn't of a massive concern to myself though so I didn't massively enquire.

I had been under the impression that standard expected was the level you're currently at, good to know I was wrong.

Hopefully I don't get well below the standard expected as I'd like to think I'd improved even little bit since I did my course

So what's the requirement across the 3 assessments?

And would an absolve standard balance out a below standard?
I've always got the impression that progression across the assessments is important as well. If you score a below standard because of specific things, it can be cancelled out if the next assessor notices that you're not having that same problem any more - i.e that you've listened and adjusted because of the feedback.

So in specific answer to your question, I don't think you even necessarily need an above standard to cancel out a below. The killer is if you get the same criticisms in all assessments - even if only one assessor considers it severe enough to give below standard.

I ended up having 4 assessments for my 7-6, as a result of moving counties. I got one below standard (harshly IMO!) in my 3rd assessment and then didn't actually see the report for the 4th, but still got the promotion. It's far from game over, especially in an early assessment when you have a chance to specifically rectify those points raised.

I've always got the impression that progression across the assessments is important as well. If you score a below standard because of specific things, it can be cancelled out if the next assessor notices that you're not having that same problem any more - i.e that you've listened and adjusted because of the feedback.

So in specific answer to your question, I don't think you even necessarily need an above standard to cancel out a below. The killer is if you get the same criticisms in all assessments - even if only one assessor considers it severe enough to give below standard.

I ended up having 4 assessments for my 7-6, as a result of moving counties. I got one below standard (harshly IMO!) in my 3rd assessment and then didn't actually see the report for the 4th, but still got the promotion. It's far from game over, especially in an early assessment when you have a chance to specifically rectify those points raised.

You'll probably struggle for a straight answer to that as with the assessment changes I've struggled to get one for my 6-5 promotion.

I don't think it's as black and white as when an assessment score was given. A Standard Expected assessment on a match marked down as the highest difficulty will probably be worth more to your promotion application than an Above Standard on a standard match. They can also look into things such as if a certain aspect was below standard on all of your assessments. I'm told that they like to see improvement assessment on assessment and that the same development points don't crop up.

;)

Well, the scores are in:
Application of law - standard expected
Match control - below standard expected
Positioning and movement - above standard expected.

Over all I got standard expected.

My strengths were listed as :
Consist hand and arm signals along with whistle.
Fitness
Playing advantages

My weaknesses:
Dealing with dissent
Not pushing far enough into the penalty area on occasions
Need to use my assistants more

Over all I'm happy with the assessment, there were no surprises and to be honest I was expecting a below standard expected over all.

I now have 3 things to work on for my next middle, and as long as I don't make the same mistakes next time I'll be a happy little referee.

Reactions: Kes
Well, the scores are in:
Application of law - standard expected
Match control - below standard expected
Positioning and movement - above standard expected.

Over all I got standard expected.

My strengths were listed as :
Consist hand and arm signals along with whistle.
Fitness
Playing advantages

My weaknesses:
Dealing with dissent
Not pushing far enough into the penalty area on occasions
Need to use my assistants more

Over all I'm happy with the assessment, there were no surprises and to be honest I was expecting a below standard expected over all.

I now have 3 things to work on for my next middle, and as long as I don't make the same mistakes next time I'll be a happy little referee.

Nice one mate. There are some on here that think "Advantage" at grass roots level is a waste of time and should generally be avoided but surprise surprise, I'm not one of them!! :D
The last two times I've yelled "Play on - advantage" (both in the last 2 weeks) rather than blow for a FK has resulted directly in a goal being scored by the team in posession. :)

As for the dissent thing, I always think it's better to be overly strict with your cards for this rather than seen to be the other way - especially if being assessed. Don't let anything (which you might normally be tempted to just ignore ;) ) get past you next time you're being assessed mate. Rightly or wrongly, being slightly "anal" with dissent demonstrates more match control to an assessor than a ref who just happily let's it pass over his head. :)

Thanks, I'll be honest I rarely play advantage, simply because in my games it's quite rare that I see one to give.

Sadly, no dealing with dissent effectively is the one theme that is consistent through my short refereeing career. But it is something I'm working on, just need to work a bit harder.

As an aside at 7-6 how do you get above the standard expected for application of law? as surely you either get it right or wrong.

As an aside at 7-6 how do you get above the standard expected for application of law? as surely you either get it right or wrong.

There are specific competencies expected of a Level 6 referee across all areas including Application of Law. To get an Above Standard at Level 7 you need to be demonstrating at least half of these competencies in any specific game. Worth you digging around to get clear on all the things that are wanted / expected of you, but as an example, in AOL it might be things like being seen to deal with persistent infringement and clearly distinguishing / correctly signalling between direct free kick offences and indirect.

Back