A&H

First Assessment of new marking season

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Had my first 6-5 assessment (sorry, observation) today.

Saturday cup semi, NAR's, went to extra time and pens :cry:

Observer picked out some useful minor development points, although only minor.

All seemed to go very well from my point of view, he seemed happy, just waiting the report now....

Incidentally this was also my first 0-0 draw in over 250 games :eek:

The Referee Store
Tidy up throw in signal, player receiving treatment turn to face the remainder of the field quicker (I did do that, but not immediately), during first caution although I told player to stand up twice he did bend over a third time while I was writing and talking, which I must've missed.

Did he point at the section of the LOTG that states a player must be standing fully vertically in order for a card to be issued?

I get that it could be seen as further dissent, but that's up to you if you want to take it that way - it doesn't seem like something that should make it to the written report?

Did he point at the section of the LOTG that states a player must be standing fully vertically in order for a card to be issued?

I get that it could be seen as further dissent, but that's up to you if you want to take it that way - it doesn't seem like something that should make it to the written report?

I try to look at things objectively, and ultimately, he's right whether it's in the LOTG or not.

If assessments were all about law and law only not only would it be very dull and contain little or no development, but we would also be expect to score 100% as a minimum every time.

I'm grateful for the feedback from a separate set of eyes, and if it looks untidy it looks untidy and I'll try to smarten it up. It won't just look untidy to somebody in the know but everybody.

Plus I'm a bit disappointed in that one bacause that messing with the sock thing is one of my pet hates and I always thought I jumped on it, but obviously not.

I think elements of presentation that aren't strictly in the LOTG are totally fair game when it comes to observation. My last observer pointed that I tend to tilt my head down when I whistle, and that meant I didn't look as confident when doing so. Nowhere in the LOTG does it say where to look when blowing the whistle, but he put it in the report because that has to be the record of things a referee can improve on.

Not in LOTG, but is clearly shown in the Observer guidelines that the referee should have the player's full attention when displaying the card. I lost marks for that in my last assessment, where the player has turned around and walked off as the yellow card came out. Same as a player bending down I guess.

Now I make the player stand in front of me - "wait there, I haven't finished"....then show the card. "is that it?" that last player said to me. I had to laugh.

Looking at the floor after you have given a decision shows a lack of confidence, so the observer should be picking it up. This was always the most commented about "fault" when I was a level 3, no matter how many times I got told about it I just couldn't stop doing it.

Looking at the floor after you have given a decision shows a lack of confidence, so the observer should be picking it up. This was always the most commented about "fault" when I was a level 3, no matter how many times I got told about it I just couldn't stop doing it.

Interestingly he said it wasn't something I did when giving fouls, but when I was whistling to restart play. It's something I'm going to work on some more to try and get rid of from my game!

Back