A&H

First disciplinary hearing

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I've been summoned to a disciplinary hearing for a player I sent off a few weeks ago. I've never had this happen before, what does it mean? Has he appealed the decision to send him off?

Do I need to bring anything? Dress smart? How long do these things take?

The Referee Store
Yes, he or club have appealed.....means nothing, don't worry about it.
Dress smart. You'll read your statement about the sending off. They'll ask if you have anything further to say. You say no thank you. Player or club get chance to ask you relevant questions. You answer. Player found 'guilty as charged', gets extra match or two ban for wasting the committee's time.........

Unless you really f×%$€#d up......lol

There are two aspects to this. He was sent off for violent conduct because he had both hands round the throat of an opponent. Very difficult to appeal that I would have thought. As I was showing him the red card, just as he turned to walk off he said "you're ****ing useless" to me. Nobody else would have heard that.

Pain in the arse to have to spend an evening on it though.

It will be really really simple.......on my first, the secretary read my statement asked me if I had anything further to add, asked the club what they were appealing for. Basically refused to let them question me, didn't accept that anything they had to say had any relevance to the sending off. Stated it wasn't the referee on trial, case dismissed with an extra match ban and lost the appeal fee......utter waste of my time

There are two aspects to this. He was sent off for violent conduct because he had both hands round the throat of an opponent. Very difficult to appeal that I would have thought. As I was showing him the red card, just as he turned to walk off he said "you're ****ing useless" to me. Nobody else would have heard that.

Was the player offended or insulted by the hands around his neck :).... has the perpetrator had a hard upbringing and from a broken home??
Chill, its not you on trial!!!

So, did you submit an ER for the post-VC, post-RC expression of discontent in your direction?

I didn't, I included it in the dismissal report. I rather assumed that since he hadn't actually left the pitch is was all part of the same incident.

I didn't, I included it in the dismissal report. I rather assumed that since he hadn't actually left the pitch is was all part of the same incident.
OK we no longer have to submit reports (FA)
It's intended to be more difficult to appeal against a code (S1) than it is to pick fault with a referee's written report
I agree that the slur did not really aggravate the VC dismissal and sounds like it was all part of the same red mist

Two aspects, two incidents, two reports. No offence intended but it sounds like you tried to make the admin task easier for yourself which would make it more difficult for the admins.
The way we teach this is that anything that happens after the card is shown is a separate report. And further incidents later by same player(s) (for example after full time approach and abhse), are even further seperate reports.

On the hearing, good advice above. I'm sure the secretary is experienced enough to ensure you won't be put on trial by them as it's common to try and blame you for things by referring to lead up events and your non-action. Nonetheless be aware of it and if it happens makes sure you state that you are not on trial, all relevant matters are on the report.

If we require referees to attend hearings, they get paid a nominal fee.

Two aspects, two incidents, two reports. No offence intended but it sounds like you tried to make the admin task easier for yourself which would make it more difficult for the admins.

Difficult to do that in England now as red cards are just a tick box, no text can be provided. You can also raise what is known as an "extraordinary incident", but that is intended to be for major and significant events and being called "****ing useless" probably doesn't tick that box.

Difficult to do that in England now as red cards are just a tick box, no text can be provided. You can also raise what is known as an "extraordinary incident", but that is intended to be for major and significant events and being called "****ing useless" probably doesn't tick that box.

Is that why the text box on whole game no longer lets you put anything in it? I did wonder about that.

Is that why the text box on whole game no longer lets you put anything in it? I did wonder about that.
This should have been circulated by your local FA. I got a couole of emails about it from mine

This should have been circulated by your local FA. I got a couole of emails about it from mine

And herein lies the problem. The only reason I know about it is from finding out on here. Heard nothing from the county

He put his hands around the throat of a player and he's appealing? Somebody really needs to offer him so advice before he gets himself an extended ban. What a plank.
Players/Clubs will appeal anything but it's possible that the hearing could have been called for a different reason. My only disciplinary hearing was a clear case of spitting at an opponent. Neither the player nor his club appealed but the league called a hearing due to the seriousness of the offence. If I recall this was explained in the summons I received. This was quite early in my refereeing career and I was a bit apprehensive but must say the league representatives dealt with it very professionally.

You’ll be in and out based on this. He’s just wasting everyones time

Let us know how it goes though

If you've been asked to attend a hearing, it means the player's had (and is denying) a separate misconduct charge for the insulting/abusive language towards you after being sent off. If they had submitted a claim for wrongful dismissal regarding the red card itself, they would have had to provide evidence that you had made an obvious error in dismissing the player, and neither you nor they would have been asked to attend.

Dress smart, print off a copy of the report and take it with you. You'll be asked if you have anything to add/change in your report, the player will then have the chance to ask you questions, as will the commission members, then the player will be able to call any witnesses he has brought to be questioned by him and the commission members. You'll be thanked and asked to leave, at which point your job is done!

If i was ever asked "do you want to add to......your report" i always (bar 1st time) said no.

The one time i did it was used against me and my report was deemed to be less credible (i was told some time later). That player got off that time.

Back