A&H

First time i've ever done that.......

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Ball goes out for corner i give the arm signal for a corner and as i raise my hand a player comes running from behind me and i sock him straight in the eye.... his reply was "Did you see that the ref hit me". I checked to see if he was ok, and as miracles would have it he suddenly ran off for the corner.

The Referee Store
lol I have almost knocked out 3 players over the years. :D

One of them improper clothes lined.
Thought he was going to cry, kept dabbing it with his sleeve whinging i did ask him if he needed treatment for it but he said no

Reactions: SM
Some of these Under 11s can be quite tall can't they?;)
I quit refereeing small juniors after I kneed him in the head. Turning to run (that was rare), caught on the side of the head. Sack if spuds comes to mind.

Glad I am not the only one! :confused:

Can't remember exactly why or what I was raising my arm for as the ball was in play at the time, but just at that the very moment I did, a pint sized U12s player ran from behind me and I poked him in the eye near the edge of the area! Turned to see if he was ok, in true premier league style kid went down as if he had been shot, looked back towards the action with the intention of stopping play, but as I raised my arm again to blow the whistle, the opposition score. The whole thing happened in a matter of seconds. Needless to say, I received no end of abuse from the sidelines as the player "would have stopped the goal being scored". He had 5 team mates behind the ball and not one made a challenge, but when do managers let facts get in the way of a complaint! :)

On the opposite side of the scale, I'm hardly a giant, but no midget either @ 5' 11", but one of my son's u13s team mates is already 6'! Seriously weird doing pre-match respect handshakes when you are looking down at the kids, then all of a sudden the one standing in front of you is eye to eye without having to look down! :eek:

Glad I am not the only one! :confused:

Can't remember exactly why or what I was raising my arm for as the ball was in play at the time, but just at that the very moment I did, a pint sized U12s player ran from behind me and I poked him in the eye near the edge of the area! Turned to see if he was ok, in true premier league style kid went down as if he had been shot, looked back towards the action with the intention of stopping play, but as I raised my arm again to blow the whistle, the opposition score. The whole thing happened in a matter of seconds. Needless to say, I received no end of abuse from the sidelines as the player "would have stopped the goal being scored". He had 5 team mates behind the ball and not one made a challenge, but when do managers let facts get in the way of a complaint! :)

On the opposite side of the scale, I'm hardly a giant, but no midget either @ 5' 11", but one of my son's u13s team mates is already 6'! Seriously weird doing pre-match respect handshakes when you are looking down at the kids, then all of a sudden the one standing in front of you eye to eye without having to look down! :eek:
I'm 5'11 too, so Mike Tyson would have been proud of that one, stopped the player dead in his tracks....
Play to the whistle comes to mind here, i always tell both teams that in my pre-match chat.... if they decided to stand there and watch instead of play, then the more fool them.

I once hit a player with a flag...

Player runs behind me, flag goes up for the throw-in, he runs under it as I'm about to put it down.

By his reaction, it hurt. A flag that goes up must come down, his own fault.

I've only run the line a handful of times so far, but every time I've been on the senior line, I've had to ask managers/subs to keep back from the line...sometimes they go along with it and sometimes they just stay there and jump out of the way when they see you coming. I'm definitely going to smash into someone at some point, good thing it didn't happen when I was on the line for a U14's game at the weekend!

I've only run the line a handful of times so far, but every time I've been on the senior line, I've had to ask managers/subs to keep back from the line...sometimes they go along with it and sometimes they just stay there and jump out of the way when they see you coming. I'm definitely going to smash into someone at some point, good thing it didn't happen when I was on the line for a U14's game at the weekend!
When I'm on the line (more usually as a CAR), coaches/managers get asked once to move back from the line, warned once, then the next time its a slight drop of my shoulder and manually clear them out of the way as I'm running up the line. That usually does the trick.

Back