A&H

Fitness test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whinyates

Level 6 Referee
Good evening,

I’m looking for some advice for an upcoming fitness test (3w-2w).

In total there’s 3 weeks between being told I got 3w and the fitness test, which is a lot shorter time to prepare than I expected.

I’ve got a tape measure and can measure the distance out properly,as well as the test audio. I can get through 40 shuttles with a bit left in the tank if necessary.

The problem I’m having is the timings. I’m struggling after a bit to stick to 17 seconds and it becomes more of a sprint, which is messing with my breathing and pacing.

Is there anything I can do to help improve this?

The Referee Store
My d*ckhead response will be "training"

The more you train, the easier it will become

Make sure you're also taking advantage of the known/regular timings and be running as the 17s starts

From my personal experience . . .

I passed the 17/20 fitness test, but barely. I never really ran the true fitness test. I had done some things close to it, but I relied on my own running and HIIT training along with my games.

In my opinion, NOTHING is better than actually practicing the actual test. You need to get used to the rhythm of the test and how to hit the starting point for the next interval where you are getting to a running pace. I now run the test once every 7-14 days (but I actually do it where I run 75 meters in a straight line and then walk down and back 12.5 meters) so I can get used to the pacing of the run.

Good evening,

I’m looking for some advice for an upcoming fitness test (3w-2w).

In total there’s 3 weeks between being told I got 3w and the fitness test, which is a lot shorter time to prepare than I expected.

I’ve got a tape measure and can measure the distance out properly,as well as the test audio. I can get through 40 shuttles with a bit left in the tank if necessary.

The problem I’m having is the timings. I’m struggling after a bit to stick to 17 seconds and it becomes more of a sprint, which is messing with my breathing and pacing.

Is there anything I can do to help improve this?
Have you been successful in applying given the FA want 3W's with 1 years WNL experience?

I was automatically put for it when I got 3w promotion. Spoke to rda, who’s advise was just go for it 👍
From what I gathered Match Officials with less than 1 Years Experience on Tier 3 & 4 of the Women's Pathway would not be considered for Promotion for 23/24 Season.

You should be all good to go as long as you complete your fitness test before 12th June.
It’s booked for a week on Saturday. I’m dreading it as I no I’m not ready. I thought there would be more than 3 weeks to train for it.
But having spoken to a good ref friend about it, I’m just gonna go and give it my all. If it ends there then take learning points from it for going forward

It’s booked for a week on Saturday. I’m dreading it as I no I’m not ready. I thought there would be more than 3 weeks to train for it.
But having spoken to a good ref friend about it, I’m just gonna go and give it my all. If it ends there then take learning points from it for going forward
My development advice here is a fitness test should never be too soon.
You can be called for a fitness test at any time in a season.
If you are going for promotion a fitness test is not a surprise. They are nearly always in and around the same time.
Sorry if I come across a bit holier than thou' here, not my intention, but we really should be fit enough to be reffing the level we are at or potebtiall the next level if that's what we want and that includes to pass the fitness test. Fitness at the higher levels of the game are not a June or July thing, we should be maintaining throughout the season.

If you are going for promotion a fitness test is not a surprise. They are nearly always in and around the same time.
Sorry if I come across a bit holier than thou' here, not my intention, but we really should be fit enough to be reffing the level we are at or potebtiall the next level if that's what we want and that includes to pass the fitness test. Fitness at the higher levels of the game are not a June or July thing, we should be maintaining throughout the season.
Reminds me of when I was a recorder at our CFA fitness tests a couple of years ago on a cool early May evening.
One guy really struggled (and failed) then told me early May was a stupid time to test fitness!
I asked whether he had been refereeing - he said his last game was 5 days ago. Duh!

Well, I mean I don’t think the comments are very supportive. I haven’t had years of doing 7-5, then going 4 or anything and then doing a fitness test. I’ve just finished my first season. I didn’t know I could take the next step until after I told I’d been promoted, was given a date 3 weeks from then.
My course was only last June so I wouldn’t no all the tests are the same time of year 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate the advice though.

Well, I mean I don’t think the comments are very supportive. I haven’t had years of doing 7-5, then going 4 or anything and then doing a fitness test. I’ve just finished my first season. I didn’t know I could take the next step until after I told I’d been promoted, was given a date 3 weeks from then.
My course was only last June so I wouldn’t no all the tests are the same time of year 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate the advice though.
Sorry to come across as unsupportive, not my intention.
As a new referee, with ambition by the sounds of it, you need to know how important fitness is.
Grassroots, you can get away with it, to a certain extent, but as you are considering and actively pursuing higher levels you need to understand what is required to be at the higher levels and maintain at them.
I wish you all the best with your attempt, I am sure there will be other opportunities if it doesn't go your way, and if it does use it as a springboard to maintain your current fitness level and get even fitter so when the next one rolls round you don't even worry about it 👍

Absolutely, if fitness becomes a recurring theme from observers and / or club reports referees can be forced to take a mid-season fitness test.

It all required Time, Consistency and Discipline! Relax your mind and keep practicing! Best regards and wishes with your attempt !

The crucial part of the test is finding the rhythm so that you are not static when the HI run part starts.

In terms of preparing for it, with no matches you can simply train for the test. Practicing it a couple of times in the week will help with finding the rhythm that works for you.

Also, what surface are you performing it on? If on grass you’ll find it easier on the athletics track on the day, you especially with the adrenaline of the test!

Last edited:
Also, what surface are you performing it on? If on grass you’ll find it easier on the athletics track on the day, you especially with the adrenaline of the test!
I am training on grass at a local park and was hoping that an athletic track on the day would be a bit more forgiving. Thanks for the advice 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back