A&H

Fitness test

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
From what I gathered Match Officials with less than 1 Years Experience on Tier 3 & 4 of the Women's Pathway would not be considered for Promotion for 23/24 Season.
Yes, even if you are an experienced referee in the mens pathway (I was told no until I'd done a year at tier 3/4 in the womens game HA). It was slightly insulting.

Try this, let me know if there's any difficulties in accessing it
Fitness test 17 / 22
That worked - thank you so much.

So I just had a crack at running the 5-4. I got a quarter of the way through and decided to stop.

For me there’s two views I need to have at this. First is factors surrounding the run.

- Very hot and humid day, I think the second hottest of the year where I am (however we have to be prepared to referee in a range of conditions)
- I really don’t feel well at the moment, probably wasn’t the wisest day for it when I’m a bit chesty
- I ran grass instead of track
- It was my first time running it.

Whilst the above factors for me do allow me to think that I’m definitely able to do better, as fitness is always something I’ve had praise for, I’m also really frustrated with myself, as even with the more I could’ve done, I don’t think I would’ve passed it.

I think I just needed somewhere to be self critical, and by no means am I making excuses for it; but I just feel like I’ve let myself down

I’m also really frustrated with myself, as even with the more I could’ve done, I don’t think I would’ve passed it.
But that's why we train. To get better.

It might be beyond your reach today, but that doesn't mean it's beyond reach.

Edited to add... I am also the same person that was going to go for a run this evening but decided "sod it, pre seasons aren't for a while", and has been sat in the sun with a bottle of Rosé for the last hour! 😂

That worked - thank you so much.

So I just had a crack at running the 5-4. I got a quarter of the way through and decided to stop.

For me there’s two views I need to have at this. First is factors surrounding the run.

- Very hot and humid day, I think the second hottest of the year where I am (however we have to be prepared to referee in a range of conditions)
- I really don’t feel well at the moment, probably wasn’t the wisest day for it when I’m a bit chesty
- I ran grass instead of track
- It was my first time running it.

Whilst the above factors for me do allow me to think that I’m definitely able to do better, as fitness is always something I’ve had praise for, I’m also really frustrated with myself, as even with the more I could’ve done, I don’t think I would’ve passed it.

I think I just needed somewhere to be self critical, and by no means am I making excuses for it; but I just feel like I’ve let myself down
I e been training only this test for past 2 weeks, and my test is this Saturday coming.
The first day I did it I barely did 1 loop. I’ve been breaking it down with a minute or 2s rest between loops.
On Friday I did 6,3,1 loops, which i thought would be impossible 2 weeks ago.
I think it’s also as much of a mind battle as physical

I e been training only this test for past 2 weeks, and my test is this Saturday coming.
The first day I did it I barely did 1 loop. I’ve been breaking it down with a minute or 2s rest between loops.
On Friday I did 6,3,1 loops, which i thought would be impossible 2 weeks ago.
I think it’s also as much of a mind battle as physical
You'll find it's easier in a group. It is definitely a mind battle as it's a boring test, imo. And repetitive.

Also on the day, there's the pressure to get it done so you don't have to go again. Different world to a casual session.

When I did mine, travelling a near 130 mile round trip on a Sunday morning definitely gave me the incentive to work my bum off 😂😂

Completed mine on Sunday!!

The trick as others have said is to practice in a group.

This will give you motivation to do it rather than stopping - even though I'm not what you'd class at the FA's prized specimen I run sessions for refs near me usually weekly for those wanting to improve their fitness.

By the time I had finished mine on Sunday at 9.30am, it was already 27C.

My closing advice is practice, practice, practice. Only you will know the limits of your own body.

Passed mine this morning, first time of asking. I’ve Always failed my first one due to reoccurring injuries so chuffed that I can finally do a whole season without it hanging over my head. Bring on the season!

I can't think how anyone could effectively Ref a Step5/6 game if they can't pass the L4 fitness test. It's a necessary 'health check' to conduct the test, but I'd argue that the L3 test is the level we should all be at. The 15s/22s combination definitely gets your attention but I'd still rather do that than the Cooper. Admittedly, we'll al different, but if I'm not at the L3 standard, I don't think I'd score well in Observations. To be clear, the L3 test is difficult, but the L4 test is easier than refereeing a game

I can't think how anyone could effectively Ref a Step5/6 game if they can't pass the L4 fitness test. It's a necessary 'health check' to conduct the test, but I'd argue that the L3 test is the level we should all be at. The 15s/22s combination definitely gets your attention but I'd still rather do that than the Cooper. Admittedly, we'll al different, but if I'm not at the L3 standard, I don't think I'd score well in Observations. To be clear, the L3 test is difficult, but the L4 test is easier than refereeing a game
The FA probably have to be a bit careful, there are a lot of L4s that really struggle with the fitness test, certainly with the old Cooper test. If they set the bar too high they risk losing a lot of L4s and that could be counter productive and take them back to the shortage they had a couple of years ago. Whereas at L3 and above they can set the bar as high as they like as there is a ready supply of referees at the level below waiting to replace anyone that fails. Also, and this is me being a bit cynical, they only really need a certain fitness level for supply league middles, and they won't care about that as they are not run by them, so as long as they are fit enough to run contrib lines that is good enough for them.

It used to be 2500m for L4s, and even just increasing it to 2600m caught a lot of referees out. You also used to get awards for going over and beyond the minimum: bronze for 2900m, silver for 3100m and gold for 3300m, don't think that lasted for very long though. This document from 2008 details it. https://gdfra.org.au/4411RefFitnessGuide.pdf

The FA probably have to be a bit careful, there are a lot of L4s that really struggle with the fitness test, certainly with the old Cooper test. If they set the bar too high they risk losing a lot of L4s and that could be counter productive and take them back to the shortage they had a couple of years ago. Whereas at L3 and above they can set the bar as high as they like as there is a ready supply of referees at the level below waiting to replace anyone that fails. Also, and this is me being a bit cynical, they only really need a certain fitness level for supply league middles, and they won't care about that as they are not run by them, so as long as they are fit enough to run contrib lines that is good enough for them.

It used to be 2500m for L4s, and even just increasing it to 2600m caught a lot of referees out. You also used to get awards for going over and beyond the minimum: bronze for 2900m, silver for 3100m and gold for 3300m, don't think that lasted for very long though. This document from 2008 details it. https://gdfra.org.au/4411RefFitnessGuide.pdf
Blimey, somebody spent a bit of time putting that thing together! I prefer FOP shuttle running so will no doubt give some of suggestions a shot.
The dog enjoys it and I need to put some miles in

Also passed on Sunday.

We actually started off running the L3 test for 1.5 laps.. before having to restart with the correct test playing.

The test is a breeze really, especially running in groups. If you had to run it solo I'd find it harder.

Work on pacing yourself during your training sessions. Start by practicing at a slightly slower pace than your target time, gradually increasing your speed as you become more comfortable with the timing. Focus on maintaining a consistent rhythm throughout each shuttle run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back