A&H

Fitness

I'll add that to my treadmill fitness as well!

I usually just go for 90 seconds at 14 followed by 90 seconds at 6 and repeat for 30 mins but this has more variety!

The Referee Store
It's actually 10:30 for men under 30, 09:30 if you're a Para, but you're right a 12 minute mile shouldn't be difficult for anyone with a basic level of fitness, although what people class as "basic" will be subjective.

Shall we go into every detail for each Corps, rank and age? I'm well aware what they are but if we want to be beligerant the words "stand by" shold ring a bell.

Shall we go into every detail for each Corps, rank and age? I'm well aware what they are but if we want to be beligerant the words "stand by" shold ring a bell.

He got it right.
You got it wrong. ;)
And since the majority of referees at grass roots level are over 30 years of age (which means in the military they'd have at least 11 mins to do the 1.5 miles in anyway) I think his point wasn't beligerant at all. :)

Whilst we are discussing the fitness test, whilst serving I was told by more than one pti that running on a track adds approximately 30 seconds on to your time, which is to do with the amount of corners when running laps.

So really the best way to measure your fitness in relation to the FA test you really need to get out on a track.

In terms of match fitness as others have mentioned HIIT training is the way ahead.

I hate running on a treadmill so prefer to go for Hill reps and fartlek (sp?) Training, also resistance training will help with muscular endurance as well

Whilst we are discussing the fitness test, whilst serving I was told by more than one pti that running on a track adds approximately 30 seconds on to your time, which is to do with the amount of corners when running laps.

So really the best way to measure your fitness in relation to the FA test you really need to get out on a track.

In terms of match fitness as others have mentioned HIIT training is the way ahead.

I hate running on a treadmill so prefer to go for Hill reps and fartlek (sp?) Training, also resistance training will help with muscular endurance as well

As an ex PTI, (although we were called AIPT's in my day ;) ) I can confirm that the advice given to you about track running is a load of old bollox!! :D
If anything, track running should knock a few seconds off your run time since you're not dealing with inclines or negotiating obstacles of any description. :)

As long as your on the inside track of course. Further out you are,the further you end up running.

As long as your on the inside track of course. Further out you are,the further you end up running.

Indeed.
I assumed anyone would know that though to be fair. ;)
I always found that track running made me more "impatient" to get to the finish, resulting in me going at it hammer & tongs for the first two or three laps and then absolutely hanging out of my hoop for the last two. :D

As an ex PTI, (although we were called AIPT's in my day ;) ) I can confirm that the advice given to you about track running is a load of old bollox!! :D
If anything, track running should knock a few seconds off your run time since you're not dealing with inclines or negotiating obstacles of any description. :)

I shall bow down to your superior knowledge. Although, I have always found it more difficult running on a track then on the roads.

I shall bow down to your superior knowledge. Although, I have always found it more difficult running on a track then on the roads.

Many do.
It's difficult for some to focus on running the same circuit over six times, not to mention rather boring. I could take it or leave it, but it's the best gauge of time-related performance when it comes to aerobic/anaerobic fitness. :)

The main thing is the nature of the surface with track being more springy rather than solid like a road. Can be disconcerting if your not used to it.

Get off the treadmill, get over the park and find a football pitch. Do intervals involving sprinting one length of the pitch, walk one width, Jon the other two sides and repeat. 10 laps is a good guide.

Next, shorter sprints involving the width of the pitch or the diagonal in the penalty area with 30 sec cool down in between.

Follow up with a 10 minute cool down jog. That's 30 minutes training right there, twice a week is only 1 hour of your life. No excuses.

Get off the treadmill, get over the park and find a football pitch. Do intervals involving sprinting one length of the pitch, walk one width, Jon the other two sides and repeat. 10 laps is a good guide.

Next, shorter sprints involving the width of the pitch or the diagonal in the penalty area with 30 sec cool down in between.

Follow up with a 10 minute cool down jog. That's 30 minutes training right there, twice a week is only 1 hour of your life. No excuses.

Not everyone is available at times that allow them to do this, or personal circumstances allow this, or even have local pitches that near to them.

Any patch of grass will do then, along with a couple of cones or even jumpers on the floor to mark out the area. All you need is daylight and you're set. Not really sure how anyone can have no time for 30 minutes twice per week, especially in summer.

In the winter I do HIIT up a side street near me which has a nice 50m uphill section.

Any patch of grass will do then, along with a couple of cones or even jumpers on the floor to mark out the area. All you need is daylight and you're set. Not really sure how anyone can have no time for 30 minutes twice per week, especially in summer.

In the winter I do HIIT up a side street near me which has a nice 50m uphill section.

Again, still nowhere near me. I don't drive so that adds an hour and a half journey to the nearest park when I have a gym 10 minutes away from me where I can completely analyse and compare exactly what I have done. I have targets to meet, I monitor them and I hit them.

Back