A&H

Fleetwood v Wycombe

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Seems like Fleetwoods Madden was given 2 yellow cards in the same minute during their sides 4-1 defeat to Wycombe.
Reports say it's a caution for a dive then he gave dissent to the official which led to a second yellow immediately.
Must say, can not remember the last time I saw that happen, especially in professional football.

The Referee Store
Seems like Fleetwoods Madden was given 2 yellow cards in the same minute during their sides 4-1 defeat to Wycombe.
Reports say it's a caution for a dive then he gave dissent to the official which led to a second yellow immediately.
Must say, can not remember the last time I saw that happen, especially in professional football.

Saw it live, the dissent didn't seem OTT so wonder if it was something he said, a word or words?

Fleetwood basically self-destructed though, you've got to think they've no chance in the second leg.

I believe he shouted over at the assistant referee "you cheating c***". Fair play to the officials for dealing with this, yes it should be a straight red but at least we are getting somewhere.

I believe he shouted over at the assistant referee "you cheating c***". Fair play to the officials for dealing with this, yes it should be a straight red but at least we are getting somewhere.

I must've missed the AR in the area then as only saw Madden around the R. Like i say, the dissent didn't seem OTT so was surprised at the red, but if that's true, what he's said, I'm all for the red.

Makes me think of my one and only straight red I've given so far for OFFINABUS towards me which was for being told to 'f off' when I'd warned a player for dissent by action, sarcastic clapping a decision I'd made (no previous dissent in the game, think we were in about 60 minutes).

Not sure if i was a bit harsh, but i wasn't having that.

Being in the church league probably helped though haha. Team manager didn't have an issue with the red.

If by "assistant" you mean directly at the referee... then yes, that's essentially what happened. I cannot attest to the final word, as the sound on the live feed here cut out at "you cheat..." :)

I double yellowed a few players in my time, maybe 4-5 times....Some of them just can't help themselves and stop bleating!!!

Not seen/heard it but if the refs second yellowed for calling the AR a "cheating cnut" then its the wrong colour card and should not be given credit for showing yellow rather than nothing

its same as seeing a punch to the face and going yellow for aggressive rather than red for v/c

if the words used are as quoted, its a red card.
Thats not dissent, so a yellow card is incorrect, regardless of whether the player will be leaving the park anyway

job half done am afraid, either do it properly, or, erm,?

the "he is going off anyway" notion can be used on an amber tackle, where you might you red, you might go yellow, but, you should not be showing a yc when the offence in question merits a red!

Last edited:
Not seen/heard it but if the refs second yellowed for calling the AR a "cheating cnut" then its the wrong colour card and should not be given credit for showing yellow rather than nothing

its same as seeing a punch to the face and going yellow for aggressive rather than red for v/c

if the words used are as quoted, its a red card.
Thats not dissent, so a yellow card is incorrect, regardless of whether the player will be leaving the park anyway

job half done am afraid, either do it properly, or, erm,?

the "he is going off anyway" notion can be used on an amber tackle, where you might you red, you might go yellow, but, you should not be showing a yc when the offence in question merits a red!
I agree if he's used the Double C words then red is the correct dismissal, Technically the same difference though during the match as it was bye bye anyway!!!

What were peoples thoughts on the big decisions ?

1) Fleetwood penalty
2) Red Card for Coyle (i think) which resulted in Wycombe penalty.
3) The Madden penalty incident.

What were peoples thoughts on the big decisions ?

1) Fleetwood penalty
2) Red Card for Coyle (i think) which resulted in Wycombe penalty.
3) The Madden penalty incident.

1) Very, very soft. I think the attacker felt a bit of contact from the keeper and flung himself down. Referee wasn't going to give anything and it was clearly the assistant that gave it.
2) Spot on, a shocker of a tackle that caught the opponent high up the leg with a straight leg. Again though the referee needed help as he initially pulled out a yellow.
3) Same as number 1 really, felt contact and flung himself down so happy with no penalty.

Pretty much agree with that, tough game for the referee.

Cant believe Fleetwood player was arguing over the red, most nailed on red you will see.

If by "assistant" you mean directly at the referee... then yes, that's essentially what happened. I cannot attest to the final word, as the sound on the live feed here cut out at "you cheat..." :)

There was one clip where he was clearly shouting across the penalty area at the assistant.

I agree if he's used the Double C words then red is the correct dismissal, Technically the same difference though during the match as it was bye bye anyway!!!

You miss my point, he got a yellow for his outburst
So, had he not been already cautioned, he would still be on the pitch
Dissent is expressing displeasure over a decision
Calling someone a cheating cnut is not dissent, its abusive, insulting etc etc, an entirely different offence

On the straight red, as Rusty says, the ref pulled out yellow first, its not clear whether the ref himself changed his mind, or he got some welcome advice, the learning point is, dont just simply dive into your pocket, the showing of the card is the visual to your decision, and it helps if you have your decision correct before the visual!

oh and ridiculous round shaped red card, why oh why would anybody do that!

Edit, just watched it again and, if was me, am simply playing on at the last incident anyway. 4-1 down, ten men, last min, ball in keepers hands, its not the most obvious of simulations the planets ever seen, game management am giving nothing

Last edited:
You miss my point, he got a yellow for his outburst
So, had he not been already cautioned, he would still be on the pitch
Dissent is expressing displeasure over a decision
Calling someone a cheating cnut is not dissent, its abusive, insulting etc etc, an entirely different offence

On the straight red, as Rusty says, the ref pulled out yellow first, its not clear whether the ref himself changed his mind, or he got some welcome advice, the learning point is, dont just simply dive into your pocket, the showing of the card is the visual to your decision, and it helps if you have your decision correct before the visual!

oh and ridiculous round shaped red card, why oh why would anybody do that!

Edit, just watched it again and, if was me, am simply playing on at the last incident anyway. 4-1 down, ten men, last min, ball in keepers hands, its not the most obvious of simulations the planets ever seen, game management am giving nothing

He was fiddling with his ear piece after he pulled out the yellow so very much look like someone told him it was worse than he thought.

One argument for a round red card is to stop you pulling it out by mistake given it is a different shape. Never used one myself though.

He was fiddling with his ear piece after he pulled out the yellow so very much look like someone told him it was worse than he thought.

One argument for a round red card is to stop you pulling it out by mistake given it is a different shape. Never used one myself though.

Yes hopefully 4th or that side AR gave him the correct advice quickly!

and yip, understand the card thing, but if you are organised, prepared, and controlled with what you are doing, there be no reason to pull out a wrong colour,
It looks ridiculous!

Back