A&H

Flick and head back at goal kick

one

RefChat Addict
Refreshing 20-21 law changes as our season is starting. Noticed this in the change summary section.

Screenshot_20210118-094553.jpg

Is it just me or can anyone else find this in the actual Laws section? If this is only in the change summary, it will be lost from next year. No point putting it there really without clarifying/changing the actual Laws.

Second point, this is not a clarification IMO, it's a law change.

The Referee Store
I agree, that’s definitely a law change as last year that was a YC for circumventing the law

Nothing in the pdf as far as I can see. Yes I can see it in the Glossary in the app too.

As with the circular, it sounds like they want to kind of hide it because they know it is not right. Ball is clearly in play. There is either an offence or no offence. In either case a retake by the same team is not the answer.

A consequence of the law change in which goal kicks do not have to leave the penalty area.
Before that, the offence was a player attempting to circumvent the law by flicking the ball up to play to the goalkeeper rather than kick it to him.
Seems this is aimed at bringing in line with the goal kick taken while an opponent is in the penalty area, and other unforeseen results of the change in the law.

I agree, that’s definitely a law change as last year that was a YC for circumventing the law
No it wasn't. That's basically a clarification of a circular that went round following the law change which was that we were to do nothing but a retake.
Wierd, I actually thought about this, this morning, whilst walking the dogs.wondering when were going to have an outcome from The circular...

I meant a punishable offence. If a goalkeeper flicks it up and a player knees it back is it an idfk and YC for circumventing?
Good question as it specifically mentions head/chest. I suppose normal pass back rules apply for anything other than that?

No it wasn't. That's basically a clarification of a circular that went round following the law change which was that we were to do nothing but a retake.
Wierd, I actually thought about this, this morning, whilst walking the dogs.wondering when were going to have an outcome from The circular...
When I did my course that was the law according to my tutor, whether he was behind on the law in 2019 that is possible

When I did my course that was the law according to my tutor, whether he was behind on the law in 2019 that is possible
If you read the actual Laws, you have the question of whether GK "counts" as a FK to make it a cautionable offense as explicitly set out in Law 12 as cautionable. It happened at a GK in a pro game, and IIRC the R let it go and then read the team the riot act about it not happening again. Then, as @JamesL said, a circular came out saying to retake the kick--essentially, I think, IFAB didn't want to create IFK's near the goal for a team getting too cute. Most of us thought the Laws would actually clarify this. Instead, we get this "clarification" that is utterly at odds with the Laws as written. There is no way to read the Laws and get here. It is particularly odd to me, as in most places IFAB is getting overly didactic about minutia, but here they seem to say, more or less, "Oh, FFS, just do it over and tell them to do it right this time." (And they added FK to GK in the "clarification" even though Law 12 expressly says that trickery at a GK to circumvent the "back pass" law is a USB caution.)

I think they know that this 'clarification' is at odds with law 12 as mentioned above and also all laws principle in general. That is if there is an offence, there is punishment. In this case it is an offence with no punishment. Knowing this, they have tucked away this 'clarification' somewhere in the 20-21 version which would disappear in future versions (unless they move it again in future versions).

Might have been a crossover. When in 2019 was your course. The clarification was issued in August of 2019.

Screenshot_20210119_095601_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

From the 2019 circular:
"The views of technical and refereeing experts about whether this is within the “spirit” of the Laws are divided, so the matter will be discussed by The IFAB Technical Sub-Committee. Until then, this practice should not be permitted, nor should it be penalised"

Well the practice is still not permitted nor penalised. Sounds like the IFAB tech sub-committee decided and the higher powers didn't like it. So it found a place in the naughty corner of the LOTG. Something smells off.

(I would make a good conspiracy theorist)

Back