A&H

Foul on the Keeper

I had a BUCS game recently, with assistant referees. As a 6, I don't get the chance to have proper ARs and jumped at the chance to referee this game.

A direct free kick was taken with a cross in the box, the keeper comes out to catch it and in my mind the attacker gets there first and headers the ball in to make it 1-0. My angle of the potential foul is quite poor, with the ball moving quite quickly resulting in me having to convince myself and the players that the attacker has got to the ball first. I signal to my assistant that I think its a goal and I see he has his flag up. So I speak to him and he says the keeper has got to the ball first and the attacker has collided with him before getting to the ball. I then disallow the goal and give a direct free kick to the defending team.

I wouldn't ordinarily want an assistant referee making decisions that are that far out of his zone of credibility, but in this instance it was very helpful, because he had a much better angle of the incident.

My question is, what constitutes a foul on the keeper, and how sympathetic should I be to the keeper when dealing with this sort of incident? Because in most games, I wouldn't have a reliable and an experienced assistant referee to help me out here.

A&H International
Be very sympathetic and work to a mind set of, its a foul, unless you are entirely sure that its not.

its safe, its tried and tested, and its written in stone.

Allowing the goal will haunt you for the rest of the gane, change players attitude, coaches etc

chalking it off will annoy the scorer for ten secs then we all move on

agree with @Anubis

rightly or wrongly, the threshold of contact for fouls on the keeper is much lower than for other player on player aerial challenges

generally any contact on the keeper once they're jumping for the ball is penalised

rightly or wrongly, the threshold of contact for fouls on the keeper is much lower than for other player on player aerial challenges
I think this comes from the fact once keeper has any slither or his hand or arm touching the ball he can't be challenged for it as he is considered as in control.
I am not so sure that there is a threshold, it's just that the law requires that from a certain point a keeper can't be challenged and this any challenge from that point becomes a foul

I think this comes from the fact once keeper has any slither or his hand or arm touching the ball he can't be challenged for it as he is considered as in control.
I am not so sure that there is a threshold, it's just that the law requires that from a certain point a keeper can't be challenged and this any challenge from that point becomes a foul

you're right, i dislike the way the law is written as there's no chance what law considers control is control in the real world, but hey ho

I suspect it depends on how experienced your AR was. If he was new and not used to running the line it was probably that he doesn't understand credible areas, it isn't uncommon for new ARs to try to get involved when they really have no right to do so. If he was experienced it probably means you have dropped a bit of a major clanger and he felt he needed to act even though it was so far away from him.

Agree with others, if you think there might have been a foul on the keeper, and have a reasonable level of confidence, it is safter to give the foul than allow the goal. But you can only judge each incident on its own merit.

I suspect it depends on how experienced your AR was. If he was new and not used to running the line it was probably that he doesn't understand credible areas, it isn't uncommon for new ARs to try to get involved when they really have no right to do so. If he was experienced it probably means you have dropped a bit of a major clanger and he felt he needed to act even though it was so far away from him.

Agree with others, if you think there might have been a foul on the keeper, and have a reasonable level of confidence, it is safter to give the foul than allow the goal. But you can only judge each incident on its own merit.
I don't think it was a major error on my part, it was more of an interpretation of what had happened. I couldn't offer a convincing explanation to myself let alone the players, so was very happy that the assistant raised his flag. I suppose if I was running the line and I saw a foul on the keeper that players were complaining about I would raise my flag and explain that the referee had made a mistake.

I don't think it was a major error on my part, it was more of an interpretation of what had happened. I couldn't offer a convincing explanation to myself let alone the players, so was very happy that the assistant raised his flag. I suppose if I was running the line and I saw a foul on the keeper that players were complaining about I would raise my flag and explain that the referee had made a mistake.
That very much depends on the referee and their pre-match instructions. Not many referees are going to be happy with their AR coming in from that distance unless they have either invited them in, or they are the only idiot inside the ground that thinks they have made the correct decision.

As AR its important to remember we are not out there to correct mistakes, but instead, advise of incidents which we believe we have seen different.

there will be plenty times in a game the ref will give, or not give, free kicks we are at odds with, some indeed might be completely wrong, however, they falling the refereee's remit

where we can assist, is like your original post.
As AR, we do not go around " correcting mistakes"

Back