A&H

FUL Vs MUN

Joshref

Thoughts on the disallowed goal? Not actually seen it due to stream issues but seeing a lot of noise about it on Twitter

The Referee Store
It's an absolute nailed on example of interfering with an opponent.

"clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent"

He's definitely in an offside position, has clearly attempted to play the ball, and there were Fulham players around him. Correct decision for me, not really sure why it took them 4 minutes to get to that decision.

Interesting that ManU are still playing Maguire. Clearly experiencing impacts of concussion and spotted by referee…

What are people’s thoughts on this from a footballing perspective - feels like a risky decision from United’s perspective?

Great to see referee using common sense and showing empathy (most do - but it doesn’t get noticed)

Last edited:
Attempts to play a ball that is close when this action impacts ability of opponent to play the ball.

And could probably stretch it to challenging opponent for ball as the two are very close and make contact.

Offside correct call.

This a really simple decision via replay.

The reaction of the commentary team, panel (“harsh”), ****terati etc. tells everything you need to know about how embarrassing media coverage is. Let’s stir up a frenzy by being vague and accurate. It must be the referees’ fault. F*** all of them. RTFM.

Thoughts on the disallowed goal? Not actually seen it due to stream issues but seeing a lot of noise about it on Twitter
It was offside, but yet another one of those plays where if you were just looking at the play without using Hawkeye lines you'd probably have the play "stand as called" (as I'd prefer offside positions adjudged instead of using the lines, but I know that's not going to happen in England or UEFA anytime soon). Once Maguire was determined to be in an offside position, he's 100% interfering with an opponent.

Interesting that ManU are still playing Maguire. Clearly experiencing impacts of concussion and spotted by referee…

What are people’s thoughts on this from a footballing perspective - feels like a risky decision from United’s perspective?

Great to see referee using common sense and showing empathy (most do - but it doesn’t get noticed)

IFAB need to take notice and bring in a head injury assessment process. A temporary time limited substitute comes on while the HIA takes place. If it’s failed, player is out for 2 weeks. If time elapses while the check is ongoing, the player stays off. If cleared, back on.

Rugby woke up to it, especially the League code and it’s so effective.

Of course they’ll object about disciplinary action against the temporary sub during the HIA but that is easily legislated - they’re treated as an infield player and if sent off during the HIA, that’s then down to 10 or less.

We were advised on my recent cricket first aid course that a player should be replaced at the mere hint of concussion (eg a ball to helmet strike) as concussion may not have any symptoms. Maguire did look like he was showing signs of concussion, but yet again the professional game doesn't deal with it properly. The old 'How many fingers am I holding up?' test.

Back