A&H

Full time.

In the Spain versus Costa Rica match in the Womens' World Cup, three minutes had been allowed for additional time and after about two and a half minutes a CR player was injured and treated on the pitch.

The ref blew the whistle at three minutes with the player still being treated and no-one seemed to know what was going on. Couple of the Spain players were (rightly in my view) upset that no time was added for the injury in extra time, particularly as the game was 0-0 and they were pressing hard.

Hadn't realised that she was probably just saving herself having to go and get the ball...

It does seem that at FIFA and UEFA level the whistle gets blown as near as possible to the exact second of the end of the minute even if there have been injuries, substitutions or time-wasting during extra time and despite the board indicating a minimum of X minutes.

The Referee Store
I don't take possession of the ball at the final whistle.
Prob why I wasn't paid 3 times last season

Just in case anyone has not seen the clive thomas decision.

And a tip on getting the ball back. Don't blow full time when the losing team has it even if it is at a stoppage. Often they just punt the ball as far as they can in disappointment after you blow the whistle :)
Am I seeing things or is the assistant standing on the goal line?

Before my time but the standard of refereeing back then must have been atrocious if Clive Thomas was going to the World Cup 78 after his performance in the Euro 76 semi and the 77 Fa cup semi.
The man strikes me as the type of ref that wants to be the centre of attention.

Whislt I'm off topic should this goal in the 81 league cup final have stood under the rules at the time?
1 minute in

Last edited:
Am I seeing things or is the assistant standing on the goal line?
No you are not seeing things, this was the recommended positions for NAR for right sided corners, it was very, very rare that you stayed behind the flag until mid-90's.

Reactions: LC
No you are not seeing things, this was the recommended positions for NAR for right sided corners, it was very, very rare that you stayed behind the flag until mid-90's.

As lincs said - this was the correct positioning for a corner back then.

It made more sense for corners on the opposite side - as the Linesman would then cover anything happening on the back post - and their presence there would make the players hopefully think twice before doing anything.

The amount of times the Linesman would get a mishit corner in the back of the head forced the IFAB to change that particular suggestion on positioning

Back