A&H

Germany v Korea

I don't think he had to go over. I just think it was such a big decision that he wanted to see it himself. It was going to be the goal that knocks out Germany. I'd probably want to see it with my own eyes too.

Ah if thats the case then yes, totally understandable

The Referee Store
He wouldn't have had to go over if it was a straightforward offside/not offside position decision, but given it was all to do with who's toe poked it in the middle of a melee, it makes sense for the ref to be sure.

Hard to spot the German touch but spot on review on this occasion! At least they can’t stuff us on pens this time now!

Commentators were not at all happy with the caution for simulation, I thought it was one of them, you could get away with letting it play or cautioning. Son clearly kicked his legs out to make it look far worse than it was.

For all the talk of VAR ruining the fan experience, I thought it may have added to it today (or at least not 'ruined' it), the uncertainty during the wait for the offside then the elation and deflation of Korea scoring and Germany heading for the exit.

Same re the simulation, would not fault him for taking the card and I would not be faulting him for simply playing on.

And agree re the VAR, it was like a countdown to the right call being made (esp when we as referee have seen it back and know whats coming next)

Was it maybe a benefit that the ref is very experienced in use of VAR ?

He was also very good in explaining to Korea as soon as the goal went in, what was happening, and why, and then again to German players when he gave it, (telling them the touch was off one of their own).

Reactions: JH
Obvious in real time that the ball didn't get there directly from the Korean touch at the near post, maybe he thought it touched the other Korean player on the way through.

Great use of VAR, assistant can't be happy.

Obvious in real time that the ball didn't get there directly from the Korean touch at the near post, maybe he thought it touched the other Korean player on the way through.

Great use of VAR, assistant can't be happy.

No way am faulting AR for that. In a local game, without VAR, as AR,, am flagging that, getting ref over and getting clarification as to who touched it.

AR did just right - South Korean player was in an OSP, issue was who played (not deflected) the ball last. As a goal was scored, VAR was looking it over and sent it down for an OFR with Geiger. From there, he saw the toe poke of the German player actually playing the ball, saw it go between the legs of another German and to the South Korean, who put it in.

AR was right, though he couldn't see who last played the ball.
VAR was right as they sent it down for OFR
Ref made the right call based on seeing the German toe poke.

That's how I read it.

Thought Geiger had a very good match - good positions, good communications, good judgments. Only call that I can really see being widely discussed is the caution for simulation. There was contact, how much, did player embellish, etc.

No way am faulting AR for that. In a local game, without VAR, as AR,, am flagging that, getting ref over and getting clarification as to who touched it.
And, frankly, I think it would be an easy goal to disallow if your Center didn't get a good view of who played it. That would be a tough call.

Commentators were not at all happy with the caution for simulation, I thought it was one of them, you could get away with letting it play or cautioning. Son clearly kicked his legs out to make it look far worse than it was.

For all the talk of VAR ruining the fan experience, I thought it may have added to it today (or at least not 'ruined' it), the uncertainty during the wait for the offside then the elation and deflation of Korea scoring and Germany heading for the exit.
Harsh caution for cheating, as it wasn't cheating. But then it's difficult for the referees when all of the (top) players are cheating at any opportunity

Slightly confused as to why VAR could not 100% give it without ref going to the screen though?
It could be due to the fact that ultimately, it's not a purely factual decision, like for instance offside position where the referee can choose to make the decision based solely on the information given by the VAR. While I thought this was a relatively clear one, in the final analysis, whether a player has made a deliberate play on the ball, thereby resetting offside, is a matter of a referee judgement call (cf. the Lovren touch that engendered some little debate on here).

Back