A&H

Goal scored directly from deflection off referee?

The Referee Store
from what i recall this happened quite a few years ago so goal was right at the time. if it happened now then drop ball would be correct

Reactions: one
from what i recall this happened quite a few years ago so goal was right at the time. if it happened now then drop ball would be correct
Ahh, this video may be from when the referee was considered part of the field? That would make sense.

Still a great example of where not to position yourself on the field of play though 😁

Still a great example of where not to position yourself on the field of play though 😁
That was my first thought as well. Don't think there's ever a scenario of active play when you need to be inside the 6.

I assume the referee was endeavouring to get in a position to see if the ball crossed the goal line? If so, might have been better to push wider so still having a good angle to make that decision but with less chance of becoming ‘involved’ in play. On more than one occasion I have been told by observers that it is OK to push that deep to make that call if you are fit enough to be able to recover quickly. Interested to hear what others think?

I assume the referee was endeavouring to get in a position to see if the ball crossed the goal line? If so, might have been better to push wider so still having a good angle to make that decision but with less chance of becoming ‘involved’ in play. On more than one occasion I have been told by observers that it is OK to push that deep to make that call if you are fit enough to be able to recover quickly. Interested to hear what others think?

That's what ARs are for! But for those of you without ARs, you do what you have to do.

One thing the DB change did, though, was make a potentially awful impact for referees who get hit with a ball in the PA. If it disrupts an attack, the dropped ball still goes to the GK. So while the scenario in the OP can no longer happen, if a ball that was going straight into the goal and touches the R, it's a DB to the GK, even if it continues on into the goal.

True - and I wouldn't be surprised if this incident (and others like it, along with the publicity they engendered) weren't among the reasons the law was changed.

Have to say - THIS is why they changed the laws and correctly so I think.

I do REALLY wish that players would learn the laws of the game with dropped balls though.

Ref I’ll kick it back to them…. But the ball was coming back to us so our possession…

Who was credited with the goal? :eek:

For me this is a bit like the Sanchez goal against Fulham years ago where the ball was moving away from goal, hits Sanchez's palm and goes straight into the Fulham goal. Whilst technically correct at the time with the laws in place and the laws have been revised since to prevent a repeat of such instances, it's a shame that some common sense wasn't able to be applied at the time to prevent a sense of injustice.

Can you imagine losing a game/title etc because the referee scored? :)

There's an old ITV short film ("Sunday Again and Sweet FA") which follows a sunday league team, a put-upon referee with a philosophical approach, and the various hangers-on we see around the matches - and the end is very similar to what we saw in this clip, which I think was from three years ago?

There's an old ITV short film ("Sunday Again and Sweet FA") which follows a sunday league team, a put-upon referee with a philosophical approach, and the various hangers-on we see around the matches - and the end is very similar to what we saw in this clip, which I think was from three years ago?
Cheers, enjoyed that.

Back