A&H

Goalkeeper offence at a penalty kick

bester

RefChat Addict
If the goalkeeper offends at a penalty kick, and saves it, if the rebound is scored can we allow an advantage and give a goal?

The Referee Store
If the goalkeeper offends at a penalty kick, and saves it, if the rebound is scored can we allow an advantage and give a goal?
I think I'd be giving the goal here, unless obviously I've blown before ball is in the net.

Why would you make the attacking team retake a penalty (when scoring rebound) because the keeper committed an offence. It's actually giving the keeper/defending team a chance to save a goal again despite being in the wrong.

Doing that will mean you'll have a lot of explaining to do in little time, on the spot, with plenty of confusion... no need!

It would depend on a couple of things. Did you already blow your whistle before the ball went in? If so, then you have to have it retaken.

Secondly, who scored the rebound? If it was the original penalty taker (and you hadn't blown your whistle) then I don't see why not. The law says the referee:

allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage ...

So you can play advantage on any offence, basically. Penalties are not stated as an exception.

If it was a team mate of the taker and they didn't encroach then again, the advantage rule can be applied.

If it was an encroaching team mate then we're back to a retake.

Doing that will mean you'll have a lot of explaining to do in little time, on the spot, with plenty of confusion... no need!
I don't see where you'd have to do much, if any, explaining. The vast majority of players would probably have no idea that the keeper committed an offence and even if they did, the only ones likely to complain about a goalkeeper offending at a penalty would be the attacking team. They wouldn't be complaining here though, not if the goal has been given.

Back