A&H

Gooners V Spuds

The Referee Store
Commentary team seem happy with the Spurs penalty, but not sure I share their confidence. Contact was either zero or very minimal

Reactions: one
Mike Dean, Spurs fan, strikes again.

Should never have been given the game.......
He was was once the 'go to ref' for most of the top games, but he's clearly past his best (even though I doubt he knows it)

Last edited:
Past his best, even though he has got two penalties spot on and somehow kept control of a game that other SG1 referees would have probably really struggled with?
I've seen replays from four angles and yet to see conclusive evidence of contact. Not saying he got it wrong, but can't say he got it right without proof. I'm therefore not giving it based on a an elite player hitting the deck (which is what they're all programmed to do)

He was way too far behind play and missed a blatant dive......tine to be put out to pasture.....

Mike Dean, Spurs fan, strikes again.

Should never have been given the game.......

A referee accusing a fellow referee of being biased. Classy ….

… someone did that to you on the pitch and you'd send them off without hesitation. Just as if you posted that on social media under your real name and someone reported it you'd be getting suspended. A clear case of double standards yet again by you …..

I thought Dean's match control was excellent, it was clearly a difficult game.

I do think he got the Spurs pen wrong. I just can't see any contact.

I thought Dean's match control was excellent, it was clearly a difficult game.

I do think he got the Spurs pen wrong. I just can't see any contact.
Good synopsis
He used to be one of the best, but not any longer. He had a good game today however, despite guessing at the PK (right or wrong, probably the latter). MD fell out of favor with me after his own ego became too evident in games. I also think he's a ref who gives any handball (particularly in the PA), deliberate or not

He's always been Mr unflappable, total calmness today when everyone else lost their heads.

If I was being critical I would say there should have been more than one caution for the mass conf following Dier's goal, even if for a sub. Lichsteiner appeared to cause it by grabbing hold of Dier, but I only saw the one card. But overall he was superb.

I think Dean is a superb referee. When referees were being encouraged to give shirt pulls in the box at set pieces a number of years ago, it was Mike Dean that had the plums to see it through. Never shirks the tough calls and that is very admirable. Also to be thanked for a number of brilliant Twitter and Facebook meme's down the years :)

I like Dean. I think he gets a bad rap for 'showmanship' but that's the pundits for you.

The whole "arrogant ref" and "it's all about the ref"jibes infuriate me. Try being abused by 10'000s of people and criticised by a worldwide television broadcast every time you go to work and see if you don't develop certain defence mechanisms! Dean is superb. Give him the Libertadores at Wembley!

I was often compared to Dean, not in stature or I’m 1% as good as him but his often stare of complete disregard for what a player believes to be the case.
Yes, he’s cranky, but he was spot on today with most of his decisions... will miss him when he retires!

Feels appropriate to wheel out one of the greatest internet clips of all time... ladies and gentleman, introducing mike dean... its his world and we're all just living in it...

Back