A&H

Junior/Youth Got my first game this weekend...

ATaylor00

Level 9 Referee
Hey guys,

I've got my first game this weekend and I'm just looking if anyone has any tips and tricks to share. I'm nervous to say the least.

So I'm just looking if anyone has anything to share that they learned from their first game etc.

Also I'm not quite sure about what to do when first turning up so some info on that wouldn't be bad. Thanks!

Edit: Also how can I check the specific rules of the league, eg. Match times.

The Referee Store
First of all, welcome mate.
If you can let us know what level game it is it will help us give you some more tailored advice

First of all contact your referees secretary for a copy of the comletition rules. This is normally in the form of the league handbook. Have a read through. The main points are:

Match fees and who pays them
Playing time (especially if it is a junior game because game time varies)
Substitutions (how many can be used and is it return substitutions)
Club contact, should they contact you or you contact them?
Do you get team sheets?
Who changes kit if there is a colour clash.

If I was you I'd highlight these main bits so you can see them easily.

Next you need to contact the home club secretary or manager. All leagues are different. In some the home team contact the ref, others the ref has to contact the club, make sure you know which one applies to you. If you haven't heard from the club at 24hrs to KO then I'd say it's time to give them a ring if you can. Just confirm with the secretary or manager that the game is still on, the location of the pitch (especially if there is more than one at your field).
This first conversation can set a good first impression. Try to sound confident even if you aren't :)

The night before the game is when I like to get my stuff ready, make sure my boots and kit are clean and dry, check I have my whistles and watches, cards etc and anything else you might want. This way it saves rushing around on the morning of your game.

When game day comes I like to get to the ground no later than 30 minutes before kick off, a bit earlier if it's a men's game with changing rooms and team sheets.

When you get there go say hello to both managers/captains if they are available, just have a bit of a chat. I like to see the last few results for the teams and their league positions so we have a bit of a talking point, and it shows you're interested in the game. Just stay relaxed and remember to smile :).

If they have team sheets try to get them early if possible, or tell them when you want them by. Make sure that they know that people who aren't on the teamsheet can't play. (Some managers think that they can just sub players on who aren't on the teamsheet because they didn't know that they were coming.)

I also take this first conversation as a chance to ask the managers when they want me to do a boot and jewellery check. I also have a chat with each whole team before the game when I do the checks (some refs do, some don't, you will find out what works best for you). Some refs tell the managers when they'll be checking equipment but I like to ask them to call me over when they're ready so that they can do their warm up how they want and I don't get in the way.

You also need to inspect the field of play. I incorporate this into a warm up so I'll jog round the edges of the pitch about 10/15 yards in from the boundary lines looking for anything dangerous (needles, large holes, big branches, dog poo etc.)
Don't forget to check the nets too. The main part is the side netting near the posts, make sure that there are no holes in that part at all because it can cause you a world of problems, the back middle of the net isn't as much of a problem.

This is about the time where I get ready, I go back to my bag, put my stuff in my pockets, take my jacket off, write down the name of the subs. Then walk to the middle. Loud blast on the whistle to call the teams in. Do the respect handshake if your league requests it. Coin toss with the captains and off you go.

Don't forget to start your watch(es)! :p (I think most members on here have done that before).

The main piece of advice from me is be confident. By passing the course you a re probably more qualified than most of the players and you'll be the only impartial person there. Be firm but friendly. At this level the players are mainly there to enjoy the football, to have a laugh so if you can enhance their enjoyment and apply the LOTG fairly then you can't do much more.

I know it is a long list but I remember my first game and I wished I knew more about what I should actually do when I get there.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you :)

Welcome to the forums! What age/grade is it?

Revise the LOTG. Every night. Primarily Laws 11 and 12 - you don't want to be standing on the field thinking, 'wait, what do I do now that this player has just deliberately blocked a shot with his hand?' You want to know those laws like the back of your hand moreso than all others.

Prepare your kit the night before, and allow plenty of time to reach the field, warm up, check the field, and just mentally prepare yourself.

Any specific questions?

First of all, welcome mate.
If you can let us know what level game it is it will help us give you some more tailored advice

First of all contact your referees secretary for a copy of the comletition rules. This is normally in the form of the league handbook. Have a read through. The main points are:

Match fees and who pays them
Playing time (especially if it is a junior game because game time varies)
Substitutions (how many can be used and is it return substitutions)
Club contact, should they contact you or you contact them?
Do you get team sheets?
Who changes kit if there is a colour clash.

If I was you I'd highlight these main bits so you can see them easily.

Next you need to contact the home club secretary or manager. All leagues are different. In some the home team contact the ref, others the ref has to contact the club, make sure you know which one applies to you. If you haven't heard from the club at 24hrs to KO then I'd say it's time to give them a ring if you can. Just confirm with the secretary or manager that the game is still on, the location of the pitch (especially if there is more than one at your field).
This first conversation can set a good first impression. Try to sound confident even if you aren't :)

The night before the game is when I like to get my stuff ready, make sure my boots and kit are clean and dry, check I have my whistles and watches, cards etc and anything else you might want. This way it saves rushing around on the morning of your game.

When game day comes I like to get to the ground no later than 30 minutes before kick off, a bit earlier if it's a men's game with changing rooms and team sheets.

When you get there go say hello to both managers/captains if they are available, just have a bit of a chat. I like to see the last few results for the teams and their league positions so we have a bit of a talking point, and it shows you're interested in the game. Just stay relaxed and remember to smile :).

If they have team sheets try to get them early if possible, or tell them when you want them by. Make sure that they know that people who aren't on the teamsheet can't play. (Some managers think that they can just sub players on who aren't on the teamsheet because they didn't know that they were coming.)

I also take this first conversation as a chance to ask the managers when they want me to do a boot and jewellery check. I also have a chat with each whole team before the game when I do the checks (some refs do, some don't, you will find out what works best for you). Some refs tell the managers when they'll be checking equipment but I like to ask them to call me over when they're ready so that they can do their warm up how they want and I don't get in the way.

You also need to inspect the field of play. I incorporate this into a warm up so I'll jog round the edges of the pitch about 10/15 yards in from the boundary lines looking for anything dangerous (needles, large holes, big branches, dog poo etc.)
Don't forget to check the nets too. The main part is the side netting near the posts, make sure that there are no holes in that part at all because it can cause you a world of problems, the back middle of the net isn't as much of a problem.

This is about the time where I get ready, I go back to my bag, put my stuff in my pockets, take my jacket off, write down the name of the subs. Then walk to the middle. Loud blast on the whistle to call the teams in. Do the respect handshake if your league requests it. Coin toss with the captains and off you go.

Don't forget to start your watch(es)! :p (I think most members on here have done that before).

The main piece of advice from me is be confident. By passing the course you a re probably more qualified than most of the players and you'll be the only impartial person there. Be firm but friendly. At this level the players are mainly there to enjoy the football, to have a laugh so if you can enhance their enjoyment and apply the LOTG fairly then you can't do much more.

I know it is a long list but I remember my first game and I wished I knew more about what I should actually do when I get there.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you :)
Thanks for the (lengthy) reply!

And this is a under 11s game so nothing too big but still pressure as its my first game. :)

Edit: been a massive idiot got the league info already :)

Welcome to the forums! What age/grade is it?

Revise the LOTG. Every night. Primarily Laws 11 and 12 - you don't want to be standing on the field thinking, 'wait, what do I do now that this player has just deliberately blocked a shot with his hand?' You want to know those laws like the back of your hand moreso than all others.

Prepare your kit the night before, and allow plenty of time to reach the field, warm up, check the field, and just mentally prepare yourself.

Any specific questions?
Thanks for the reply. I'll start reading the laws now!

1: Relax.
2: Relax.
3: Relax.

Go into it thinking "OMG I'm so nervous! What if I make a mistake?!?" and you'll destroy any shred of confidence you have.

See something, judge it, and decide. It takes longer to read that than it does to do. Is there someone who could come with you as a friendly face perhaps? As a 9 I'd hope so. Just having someone there can help with that.

One more piece of advice - Never forget rules 1-3!! :p

Welcome, as others have said get your kit ready the night before and make sure you're happy with the laws of the game.

I'd also check where the pitch is, so you can aim off for things like traffic, finding parking, or bus routes if you don't drive and can't get a lift.

I was in your boat at the beginning of the season, although I went straight into open age.

As Tealeaf said relax, take time to think about decisions (you have longer than you think). Be confident, even if you don't feel it on the inside try to show a confident front to the players/managers.

Reactions: Kes
Couple of specific tips from what I remember of U11s, the crowd "noise" is likely to be out of all proportion to the importance of the game.

If you're not happy with anything from the sidelines let home manager/match delegate know and don't be afraid to get anyone who over steps the mark to leave.

At that age, everyone expects game to be stopped if a player goes down for all but the most obviously trivial injuries.

Playing an advantage much less common/easy at that age group, very often a fk will be the way to go.

Hope that helps - good luck!

Couple of specific tips from what I remember of U11s, the crowd "noise" is likely to be out of all proportion to the importance of the game.

If you're not happy with anything from the sidelines let home manager/match delegate know and don't be afraid to get anyone who over steps the mark to leave.

At that age, everyone expects game to be stopped if a player goes down for all but the most obviously trivial injuries.

Playing an advantage much less common/easy at that age group, very often a fk will be the way to go.

Hope that helps - good luck!
Thanks a lot!

Just one more thing.

After the game has ended what do I do?
Eg. Who do I report the score to etc.
Thanks

Your league rules will say who is responsible for things like reporting scores.

They should also say who/how you report misconduct.

For example, my adult Sunday league have team sheets which I have to mark all subs, cards, and any league specific rule breeches on, and I post these to the discipline secretary.

As well as making the necessary reports on whole game.

Just one more thing.

After the game has ended what do I do?
Eg. Who do I report the score to etc.
Thanks

Have you not been appointed a mentor mate? How old are you? (just curious).

Good luck for this weekend. Keep all the match info after the game and worry about that afterwards. You can always phone people and ask what to do with this and that later that evening or even the next day. For now, concentrate on the 90 minutes ahead of you and getting that right. Everything else is a doddle. ;) :)

Have you not been appointed a mentor mate? How old are you? (just curious).

Good luck for this weekend. Keep all the match info after the game and worry about that afterwards. You can always phone people and ask what to do with this and that later that evening or even the next day. For now, concentrate on the 90 minutes ahead of you and getting that right. Everything else is a doddle. ;) :)
I'm 14 :/
I haven't been appointed one as far as I know, not sure how I would check.

Thanks.

It just seems a bit odd that a 14 year old like yourself is off out to ref his first match and that there's nobody there to monitor/mentor the occasion. I thought the whole process with new referees these days involved "nurturing" through the early months?
Perhaps some other more learned members could offer up their take on it?

On my BRC we were given a list of the county mentor coordinators and told the to contact the one for our area with details of our fixtures to arrange a mentor

Was told when I did the course about mentors etc, but ultimately was never given any details or names to contact (or asked for), possibly due to my age, but at the same time getting anything especially a registration number from the FA post course proved extremely painful :confused:

Agree with Kes, throwing a 14 year old into the deep end of their first game without any apparent support is poor at best. Failing any qualified support from the FA, do you have an older relative/friend who can go along with you for moral support?

Back