A&H

Junior/Youth Got my first game this weekend...

Perhaps ask the ref sec for your league, or your local RA branch if there is a qualified ref who might be out injured or something that could come and watch.

The Referee Store
Just got back from the game.
Wasn't too bad. A few silly mistakes but nothing atrocious. Managers were friendly.
Thanks for the tips all. (Match ended 7-2)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kes
Wasn't too bad. A few silly mistakes but nothing atrocious. Home manager very friendly - away manager not so much.

Nice one chap. Well done. :)

Feel free to discuss how the game went on here whenever you're able. You might not always like what advice you're given, but it's a good way to broaden your general knowledge and perception of refereeing at any level. :)

Nice one chap. Well done. :)

Feel free to discuss how the game went on here whenever you're able. You might not always like what advice you're given, but it's a good way to broaden your general knowledge and perception of refereeing at any level. :)
I will do later. Got some jobs to do now.

So... to the match.

Pre-match went fine with both managers being clear on stuff.

Most of the match was fine with both linesman clearly indicating offside etc. Mid way through the first half one of the players hand balled and I may have been a little harsh, but the handball definitely gave him an advantage, allowing him to control the ball when there was no chance of him controlling it otherwise. Just gave a free kick. However at some points in the game I found myself listening to external voices and letting them effect my decisions more than I should have. I was also a little slow on my decisions sometimes with the away manager catching onto this...
I also realised that I need to improve my positions and get used to the diagonal line of movement across the pitch so I can see the appropriate assistant referee but overall I think I did ok with spectators and the managers offering praise.

However the advice and tips I gained from here definitely increased my confidence and my ability so thanks to all of you!

Nice one.
When you mention "external voices" do you mean the players or parents (or both?). :)

More so the parents and managers.
Figured that's what you meant. It's really difficult to shut that out when you're young mate but that's what you have to try and do.
Remember, just because they're adults doesn't mean they're right - you're the one with the refereeing qualification and the Laws Of The Game knowledge - not them. ;)

Figured that's what you meant. It's really difficult to shut that out when you're young mate but that's what you have to try and do.
Remember, just because they're adults doesn't mean they're right - you're the one with the refereeing qualification and the Laws Of The Game knowledge - not them. ;)
Also throughout the match both sides kept doing foul throws so I just let them off.
I know I shouldn't do this so next time I should just let them take it again since they're so young?

Also throughout the match both sides kept doing foul throws so I just let them off.
I know I shouldn't do this so next time I should just let them take it again since they're so young?

Again, when you say "foul throw" what exactly do you mean? How were they doing foul throws?

Reactions: DB
I'll be honest with you, when I'm in the middle and using CAR's (Club assistants) my diagonal line goes straight out the window. If I don't know the CAR, haven't used him/her before or I know that they are susceptible to helping out their own team with their decisions, I run all over the pitch in no particular pattern/line. I want to be as close as I can (obviously away from the action but in a good enough position to see everything) to the ball and in a good enough position to get the best view. Personally (and hopefully others will agree) I would not get too hung up on your diagonal line whilst you are just starting out. Get the more important stuff out the way first; the correct calls, don't listen to the voices and go with your decisions with confidence and courage. Don't let the players and sidelines affect your judgement. You will always have people who disagree with you; every time you blow your whistle for an infringement in law, 50% of the people at the game will agree with you, 50% won't.

Once that's sorted, work on your positioning (diagonal) and the more important things.

Just remember, without you there would be no game.

Last edited:
So... to the match.

Mid way through the first half one of the players hand balled and I may have been a little harsh, but the handball definitely gave him an advantage, allowing him to control the ball when there was no chance of him controlling it

1: Advice reflected by use of the strike-through in your statement.

2: Don't go too rigid with the diagnonal. A figure 8 pattern might be more appropriate - you can drift out wide and close in as play needs it. Just something going forward.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the handball. I constantly used to quickly weigh up in my mind if they'd gained advantage, if it was intentional etc. It was too inconsistent though and it gave me problems.

Best bet is to give it every time it clearly strikes an arm. Everybody expects it every time and you very very rarely get any complaints, including the perpetrator.

You've highlighted some early learning points which is great. Keep doing that every game and you'll soon be up to speed.

Just lifting a foot off the ground. I need to tighten up on that.

That's fair enough.
At that level/age group, it's often appropriate (but by no means necessary) to blow your whistle when it happens, explain what the "foul" part was and tell them you'll allow them to re-take it but correctly this time. Some frown on the idea of "coaching" in this way whilst refereeing, but for you it can show those watching (including the players) that you've got your eye on everything, and are in control. Others may just see it as you being pedantic or officious - so it's up to you to try and judge each situation as best you can at the moment it happens. :)

Best bet is to give it every time it clearly strikes an arm. Everybody expects it every time and you very very rarely get any complaints, including the perpetrator
You're absolutely right, that is indeed the easy option and you'll get very few complaints.

Of course, it's hideously incorrect in law and makes life ridiculously difficult for any subsequent referee who tries to enforce handball properly. And helps explain why players will vociferously appeal anytime a ball hits an arm .... :rolleyes:

Wasn't too bad. A few silly mistakes but nothing atrocious. Managers were friendly.
Well done. The first game is a big hurdle to clear because of the mental stress but you're on your way now. Work hard, be open to learn, enjoy it.
My son was just 14 when he started and I saw first hand how daunting it can be. He's nearly 16, still refereeing and actively looking for more challenging games.

Back