A&H

Half Time

Nottsman

During my game on Sunday, the 2 teams were having there half time team talks on the pitch as standard, and I was milling around on the touchline having a drink.

I could overhear someone from the home team telling the players "we know the referee is an f'ing joke, but there's no need to tell him that". I had no idea whether this was the manager, coach or player.

It was already quite a fiesty game, with one in the book for C2, and 2 in for C1 (AA).

How would you have dealt with this?

The Referee Store
I think you have to decide to what effect its going to have on the game. If it is a passing comment one side says just ignore it and carry on with the game if its not affecting it. however on the other hand i would say have a quiet word with them and just enlighten them that you heard it and it was unneeded and you dont expect to hear anything else similar during the game again or you will have to take action

Get your drink and move away from the teams.....easiest way to avoid such situations.

I always try to make sure that I am out of earshot from the teams at half time....by then I have got a good idea of their opinions of me.....don't need to hear it again!

To be fair it was difficult to get of earshot at this pitch.

I ignored it tbf - Luckily there were no further dissent issues in the game (apart from a quiet word in a captains ear to tell one of his players to behave).

"we know the referee is an f'ing joke, but there's no need to tell him that".

This can be interpreted in a couple of ways. One way it's having a go at your ability/performance but in another way it could be a call to the players to watch their behaviour in the second half. Either way I would have ignored it within the scenario you describe.

Water off a ducks back. Like padfoot said, let them say what they want, try and move away if you can.

From what you described in the second half, it seems it helped :)

Also depends whether it was said for you to hear deliberately

What I was thinking.

Sometimes I wander over to one of the teams and use some of their water bottles for half time refreshment, there is always the risk I will hear something and I just try to make sure they know I am in earshot before that happens.

I had a bit of the opposite before a game few weeks ago. Saw I was walking past so went 'Good ref this so if we get to them they'll start gobbing off and he'll book them.

Genuinely laughed at him and said 'subtle *****'.

He wasn't wrong however!

During my game on Sunday, the 2 teams were having there half time team talks on the pitch as standard, and I was milling around on the touchline having a drink.

I could overhear someone from the home team telling the players "we know the referee is an f'ing joke, but there's no need to tell him that". I had no idea whether this was the manager, coach or player.

It was already quite a fiesty game, with one in the book for C2, and 2 in for C1 (AA).

How would you have dealt with this?
In the words of a late friend Sundial, I would have placed my drink well away from where the players would congregate at half time so I didn't hear what was being said

One of the best half time speeches I have ever heard.

Defender: I cannot believe he gave them a penalty, it was outside!

Manager: what the fudge are you moaning about? I don't care about if it was in or outside in your opinion - it resulted in a penalty. What I do care about is that you let that number 9 turn you, it was **** defending. Don't fudging let it happen again.

Made me laugh.

I'd have killed the game first 25 minutes of the second half and tried to up my game even further. Make sure you put the extra yard in and use it as 'I'll fudging show them' type motivation.

Negative into a positive and all that.

Cheers guys.

As I said, I couldn't really move away any further due to where the pitch was (or I'd be in someones garden!).

It didn't really effect my performance, just a first to hear a half time team talk make such a reference to the referee.

Also depends whether it was said for you to hear deliberately

This. It happens, but it may well be that this player is just doing what he can to settle his team down - which will only benefit you. Make an issue out of it and you're just going to cause big problems. Of course if you're absolutely certain it was said with the intention of you overhearing and you don't feel you can ignore it, then that's different, but this may well be one of those comments.
Sure, there's the argument that it doesn't matter if it was meant for you or not, but dissent is so subjective that I think it does matter.
I'm a little concerned about all the rather vindictive 'get them in the second half!' comments. Be professional guys.

One of the best half time speeches I have ever heard.

Defender: I cannot believe he gave them a penalty, it was outside!

Manager: what the fudge are you moaning about? I don't care about if it was in or outside in your opinion - it resulted in a penalty. What I do care about is that you let that number 9 turn you, it was **** defending. Don't fudging let it happen again.

Made me laugh.
OUTSIDE - new term in football or autocorrect gone mad..

Back