A&H

Harry Kane

Honestly, I prefer to have never met the players and to know nothing whatsoever about them. My favourite appointments are when I have a true clan slate. I can't see that changing for me, although I accept that you and most other people prefer to be tipped off
To be honest, it’ll be impossible to go in at that level looking at particular traits in players. Could any referee go into a game involving Joey Barton for example without honesty keeping one eye on him? It’s not prejudging people, it’s just having an understanding of how they play and situations they could be involved in. So the Harry Kane move mentioned above for example wouldn’t be prejudging him, but it would be an indication of something to look out for

The Referee Store
To be honest, it’ll be impossible to go in at that level looking at particular traits in players. Could any referee go into a game involving Joey Barton for example without honesty keeping one eye on him? It’s not prejudging people, it’s just having an understanding of how they play and situations they could be involved in. So the Harry Kane move mentioned above for example wouldn’t be prejudging him, but it would be an indication of something to look out for
I understand your opinion, but I know what works best for me. They're making such a mess of it at the top, maybe they should consider... that whatever it is they're doing, it is not working collectively

Even in the matches I do, I will take advantage of every bit of information I have in order to referee the game more effectively.

Here's an example from my personal experience. In August, I officiated a match with a U17 boys team. I then officiated them in early October. In the August game, I cautioned their central defender in the first 90 seconds for a reckless challenge (was considering going straight red for a moment). When I officiated this team in October, I knew this player was fast and aggressive. The other team had a fast center forward, so I knew the possibility existed for a late challenge because of the defender's aggressiveness and the attacker's quickness.

So in the October match, the defender gets a foot in late but doesn't make contact. I swing by him and remind him to watch coming in late. Not two minutes later, he clips the center forward on a late challenge.

I caution the defender, and two of his teammates yell at him, "C'mon, he just told you!"

I see nothing wrong at all knowing who the key playmakers are, whether they like to attack down the wings or the middle, etc. If I have that information and it helps me be where I need to be and what I may expect, I'll use it. I don't think it's being biased at all. It's being prepared.

Back