A&H

Help me out here; IFAB FAQ

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Reading the IFAB FAQ and it has fried my fairly delicate brain, so I'm needing some help here. Is the FAQ contradicting itself or am I missing a bit of context;

FAQ:

When the ball is in play, a player leaves the field without the referee's permission and strikes a spectator. The referee stops play. What is the correct decision?

IFAB: The player is sent off for Violent Conduct. Play is restarted with an indirect free-kick to the opposing team on the boundary line nearest to where the offence occurred.

A player who is already off the field of play (for injury treatment) argues with a ball boy and spits at him. What is the referee's decision?

IFAB: The player is sent off. Play is restarted with a dropped ball outlined in Law 8. A free kick cannot be awareded because this offence was not committed against someone on the team lists or a match official.

Okay, so, if the second answer is true, the first answer is incorrect as a spectator is not on a team list or a match official right?

Looking over law 12, the only time the first question can be right is the IDFK is for leaving the FOP, even if the dismissal is for VC? Have I got that right?

The Referee Store
Reading the IFAB FAQ and it has fried my fairly delicate brain, so I'm needing some help here. Is the FAQ contradicting itself or am I missing a bit of context;

FAQ:

When the ball is in play, a player leaves the field without the referee's permission and strikes a spectator. The referee stops play. What is the correct decision?

IFAB: The player is sent off for Violent Conduct. Play is restarted with an indirect free-kick to the opposing team on the boundary line nearest to where the offence occurred.

A player who is already off the field of play (for injury treatment) argues with a ball boy and spits at him. What is the referee's decision?

IFAB: The player is sent off. Play is restarted with a dropped ball outlined in Law 8. A free kick cannot be awareded because this offence was not committed against someone on the team lists or a match official.

Okay, so, if the second answer is true, the first answer is incorrect as a spectator is not on a team list or a match official right?

Looking over law 12, the only time the first question can be right is the IDFK is for leaving the FOP, even if the dismissal is for VC? Have I got that right?
I have a deja vu feeling on this discussion. From the previous discussion the agreement was inline with your understanding. The restart is for the first offence though the sanction for the first offence is not administered and goes straight to the more serious offence ( incorrect in law).

I think the reason for administering red without yellow is to avoid confusion. But that can be managed with good communication.

You know what? If that had happened to my games, I was never going to get that one right. 😭

Thanks both.

Back