A&H

Hoping to do my first AR game soon

TommmC

I did make a post about 2 months ago saying I had my first AR game but later pulled out due to low confidence due to the age (16) so since then I have been doing Youth games but the higher ages since I didn't wanna really spend time with U11 and U12. I would like to think I'm more confident and ready and so should be getting ready for AR duties but ofcourse a few questions

How are teamsheets done? Do you put the starting XI and subs in your notebook/wallet?
Silly one but do L4 refs dislike the thought of having a new assistant thats never done a game?
And last one, what clothing do i bring? I know a shirt and tie has to be worn upon arrival but what about warm ups and a pitch inspection?

Would appreciate replies with as much help

The Referee Store
Just to confirm, are you referring to being an assistant referee (AR) or open age (OA) i.e. adults?

How are teamsheets done? Do you put the starting XI and subs in your notebook/wallet?
Silly one but do L4 refs dislike the thought of having a new assistant thats never done a game?
And last one, what clothing do i bring? I know a shirt and tie has to be worn upon arrival but what about warm ups and a pitch inspection?

1) Depends on the referee but generally, as an inexperienced AR, you will be "junior" and most likely not bench side. So you can focus on the basics of offsides, ball in and out and (occasionally) fouls in your credible area without having to worry about managers and subs. In this case you'll only need to know the name of the left back on each side ... so you can be a bit more personal when telling him off for trying to take throws from the wrong place!
2) Honestly, yes! Though eagerness and good listening can at least soften the blow. In fact, this is only natural because the majority of L4's are keen to get promoted and will therefore worry that an inexperienced AR will create problems for him/her to solve
3) if in doubt, ask your referee ahead of the game. But generally, yes, suit and tie for pre/post games and a warm up top (of any sort) to avoid the need to warm up in your match shirt

The very best of luck!

2. It really depends if the L4 is on the way up or on the way down and expects it (age). Mentoring and teaching new things to a new junior referee can be an enjoyable experience. Either way let him know you are new and keen to learn as much as you can from him.

1) Depends on the referee but generally, as an inexperienced AR, you will be "junior" and most likely not bench side. So you can focus on the basics of offsides, ball in and out and (occasionally) fouls in your credible area without having to worry about managers and subs. In this case you'll only need to know the name of the left back on each side ... so you can be a bit more personal when telling him off for trying to take throws from the wrong place!
2) Honestly, yes! Though eagerness and good listening can at least soften the blow. In fact, this is only natural because the majority of L4's are keen to get promoted and will therefore worry that an inexperienced AR will create problems for him/her to solve
3) if in doubt, ask your referee ahead of the game. But generally, yes, suit and tie for pre/post games and a warm up top (of any sort) to avoid the need to warm up in your match shirt

The very best of luck!
Yeah, the ref sec he'll give me local as possible due to age and most of the teams in this league have dugouts on each side, and thank you mate will let you all know how I get on.

2. It really depends if the L4 is on the way up or on the way down and expects it (age). Mentoring and teaching new things to a new junior referee can be an enjoyable experience. Either way let him know you are new and keen to learn as much as you can from him.
Hopefully they're willing to teach a few things

Back